Cashew chicken is my number one takeout dish, but when at home the flavor is even better. I enjoy cooking Chinese dishes, not only for the amazing taste but for the little time it takes to cook. Below is the quick cashew chicken recipe.
If you want your kids to eat their vegetables, then this cashew chicken recipe is for you. In the authentic cashew chicken recipe, you won’t see much vegetables.
With time the recipe got a decent makeover, and the addition of vegetables became a must.
Vegetables do add to the flavor and make the dish look super delicious. Having said that. I have added a minimal amount of vegetables to keep the original taste of the dish, but you can add broccoli, bell peppers, and some even add celery.
Making Cashew Chicken
I used to wonder why the chicken is so tender in all the Chinese dishes, and after some research, I found out that in some Chinese restaurants, baking soda, cornstarch, and egg white is used to make the chicken tender.
I didn’t use any of those in this cashew chicken recipe; I do believe that the method of cooking the chicken has got something to do with its texture.
When you throw the chicken in a smoking hot pan, the outer layer gets sealed, trapping the juices within, allowing the chicken to cook slowly from the inside.
Cashew Chicken is a delectable dish, and you can get creative with it.
If you don’t like cashew, instead use peanuts. Cashew and peanuts go well with this dish.
You won’t spend much time making cashew chicken, since there is no marinating involved, keep all the ingredients ready and close by before cooking.
Everything will cook quickly, and if you forgot an ingredient and spent time searching for it in the middle of your cooking, I’m not sure you’ll be pleased with the outcome!
Let’s make dinner!
Cashew Chicken Recipe
- 300 gm boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 4 or 5 dried red chili
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 2 garlic cloves cut into thin slices
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 2 medium scallions chopped
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon brown sugar
- 5 Tablespoons warm water
To make the sauce:
- – Mix all ingredients until well blended. Keep aside.
Making the Chicken Cashew:
- – Fry cashews and dry chili in 2 tablespoons hot oil until golden in color. Set aside.
- – Mix chicken with flour until well covered. Fry the chicken in previous hot oil until golden in color, about 3 minutes. Cover and set aside.
- – Add onion and fry for 1 minute.
- – Add garlic and then the chicken, stir for 1 minute. Add cashews.
- – Add the sauce the previous mixture and stir well for few seconds. Add chopped scallions, stir for few seconds, then turn off the heat.