Full of flavor and easy to make chicken fried rice recipe. This is my best homemade version, and you can't go wrong with it. Tender chicken with delicious sauce, fluffy eggs, and a blend of vegetables make this dish unique and hearty.
Chicken fried rice goes well with a dish that has gravy and even grilled fish or a steak. Using leftover chicken and a mixture of vegetables make this a healthy weeknight meal, and you can get creative with this quick-to-make dish by adding your favorite vegetables or protein to make it your own.
🥘 INGREDIENTS YOU'LL NEED
Cooked chicken: I usually use leftover roasted chicken, but I prefer to season small pieces of chicken and shallow fry them for more flavor.
Mixed vegetables: If you can go for fresh vegetables, that's great, but you can use frozen vegetables.
Eggs: Fluffy eggs give great texture to the dish and make it a complete meal.
Cooked white rice: It is advised to use a day-old rice, but I will tell you in the cooking tips below how to get the same result using freshly cooked rice.
Soy sauce and other seasonings.
🔪 HOW TO MAKE
Add the vegetable and sesame oil to a wok. Sauté vegetables, green onions, and garlic for two minutes.
Add the chicken and stir for 30 seconds. Push the vegetables, and the chicken to the side of the pan, and pour the beaten egg into the center of the pan.
Stir the egg quickly and mix it with the rest of the ingredients. Add the rice and stir for one minute, then add the soy sauce and stir until combined.
💭 COOKING TIPS
- To give a freshly cooked rice a day-old rice texture, after cooking it and letting it cool. Spread the rice on a large plate and place it in the fridge for 10 to 15 minutes and then use it in this recipe.
- It is best to use cold rice in this recipe, using warm rice can make it go mushy.
- Use low-sodium soy sauce, you will have the option to add more without making the dish salty.
- Always use high heat when making fried rice.
🍛 WHAT TO SERVE WITH CHICKEN FRIED RICE
📖 DELICIOUS VARIATIONS
Different protein: Add shrimps, leftover steak bites, or even cooked bacon.
Use brown rice: For a healthier option use brown rice or parboiled rice.
Add in your favorite vegetables: Mushrooms, broccoli, chestnut, or snap peas.
💬 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Use a day-old white rice and not add many sauces to the recipe. Soy sauce and oyster sauce are enough to bring out great flavor.
Some use black pepper only, others use Chinese five spice in addition to oyster sauce.
It is called fried rice because you cook the ingredients in oil. Other than soy sauce there is no liquid ingredient added in the dish.
Yes, you can omit the eggs although it adds to the flavor.
Fish sauce tastes good with shrimp fried rice, however, you can also add it in other types of fried rice.
It is if you consume it in moderation. You can make fried rice healtier by replacing white rice with brown and using less oil.
🍲 MORE STIR FRY RECIPES YOU'LL LOVE
🌡️ STORING AND REHEATING
Fridge: In an airtight container, place the leftover fried rice and refrigerate it for up to 3 days.
Freezer: Place the leftover chicken fried rice in an airtight container and freeze it for up to 2 months.
To reheat: It is best to reheat the fried rice one stove top but you can also microwave it.
If the chicken fried rice is frozen, place it in the fridge overnight and then reheat it either by microwave or on stovetop.
Chicken Fried Rice
- 3 precooked skinless chicken thighs or 2 chicken breast
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1 large egg beaten
- ¾ cup mixed vegetables I used frozen
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 2 green onions chopped
- 2 minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 small green chili chopped optional
- Add the vegetable oil and sesame oil to a wok or a frying pan. Keep on medium heat.
- Sauté the vegetables, green onions, and garlic for two minutes.
- Add the chicken and stir for 30 seconds.
- Push the vegetables, chicken to the sides of the pan, add the egg in the center of the pan.
- Stir the egg quickly, when cooked mix with rest of ingredients.
- Add the rice and stir for one minute, then add the soy sauce and stir until combined.
- Serve hot.
- I didn't add salt to this recipe since the pre-cooked chicken and rice were seasoned.
- Use low-sodium soy sauce to have control over the amount of salt.
- Instead of chicken thighs, you can go for chicken breast.
- If you are used to the taste of the Chinese five spices in your fried rice, add it when stir-frying the vegetables.