Berry Galette is the perfect dessert to make when you are running short of time and want to impress your guests at the same time. Sweet, buttery, and flaky crust filled with berries. When baked, the juices of the berries are released and mixed with flour to form a light pudding-like texture that’s so heavenly when served with a dollop of cream.
How to make homemade Berry Galette?
For this recipe, we have to add more sugar to the galette dough to balance the sourness in some of the berries in the filling.
Mix the flour, sugar, butter, and water, rub the mixture together with your hands or using a fork. Then gather the dough and form a disk. Wrap the dough in a plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour.
Roll out the dough to a circle and fill the center with the mixed berries filling. There is nothing after that but to bake the galette until golden in color and serve with either ice cream or cream.
What berries to use?
To make a good berry galette, it is best to use fresh berries, avoid using currants and blackberries or use a small amount of those two berries.
Can I make Berry Galette in advance?
You can make the dough in advance but never bake the berry galette a day ahead before serving. The juices from the berries might make the galette soggy when left in the fridge overnight.
The berry galette is best served at room temperature and served the same day it’s baked. It is always a good idea to taste the berries you will use in the galette recipe to decide if more sugar or less is needed.
Now that your galette is ready, serve it with cream if it’s at room temperature, or with ice cream if warm, you can skip the toppings and enjoy the galette with coffee.
Berry Galette Recipe
FOR THE GALETTE:
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup chilled butter cut in cubes
- 3 tablespoon chilled water
FOR THE FILLING:
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ cup mixed berries I do not advise that you use currants, they tend to be very sour.
TO BRUSH THE GALETTE:
- ¼ cup milk
- **Sugar to sprinkle over galette edges.
THE GALETTE DOUGH:
- In a bowl, add the flour, sugar, salt, and butter. Rub the mixture between your hands or using your fingertips.
- Add the chilled water and bring the dough together and form a disk. Do not knead this dough. Wrap the dough in a plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to an hour.
- In a mixing bowl, add all the ingredients of the filling (EXCEPT THE BUTTER) and mix using a wooden spoon or a spatula for two minutes. You need to mix until the berries bring out their juice to help dissolve the sugar and get coated with the flour. The butter will be added after filling the galette with berries.
THE BERRY GALETTE:
- Cut enough parchment paper to cover your baking tray. Preheat oven to 190C/375F.
- Dust the working surface with flour.
- Place the dough on your working surface and roll it out to 13” wide. If the dough is still hard, leave it on the working surface for 3 minutes and then roll.
- Place the rolled-out dough on the baking tray.
- Pile the berries in the center of the dough, 2.5 inches away from the edges.
- Fold the dough edges, up and to the center do this clockwise. Distribute the butter on the filling by dropping a quarter teaspoon all over the filling.
- Brush the edges with milk and then sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake the Galette for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
Looks absolutely amazing with all the berries! Happy New Year, Muna.
Hey Angie, thanks for stopping by. I wish you a great year ahead 🙂
Jeff the Chef
What a beautiful looking dessert! I wish I could have a slice with a cup of coffee right now!
Hey Jeff, thanks for dropping by! I am going to send you a virtual slice 🙂