I love baking pies but when it comes to posting the recipe I hesitate a little. It is understood that making a pie crust from scratch can be tricky at times, buying a ready-made pie crust sounds much easier right? But this Sausage Caramelized Onion Galette tastes the best if homemade pie crust was used.
How to Make Sausage Caramelized Onion Galette.
Making a good pie crust is easy, please do not listen to those who say otherwise. If you follow the method used in this Sausage Caramelized Onion Galette recipe, you will not only be amazed at how simple it is, but the taste will blow your mind.
In my whole life, I never bought or heard of a pie crust that tasted better or as delicious as homemade. Trust me and get your ingredients ready.
Today I’m going to share with you one of the dinners my family craves for, and the best part is the sausage! You can use any type of sausage you prefer, add as much or as little as you want.
One last thing about this Sausage Caramelized Onion Galette, it may not look as pretty as other pies but one bite is enough to make you fall in love with it, I promise!
Follow me on Instagram, and if you happen to make any of my recipes, please post the picture and mention me in your post, or use this hashtag #munatycooking. I would love to see your creation.
As for my recipe, here you go!
- **For the dough:
- ¾ tablespoon sugar
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter cut into cubes (must be chilled)
- 2 tablespoons ice water
- **For the filling:
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup water
- Salt to taste
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 1 ½ cup cooked and diced sausage any type you like.
- **Making the dough:
- In a bowl, add flour, salt, sugar whisk well. Add butter and using a fork or your fingertips combine with flour until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Add water and gather to form a dough, do not knead. (If you have a food processor, then add all ingredients together and pulse.)
- Shape dough into a disk, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 45 minutes to an hour. (You can make this dough at night and use it next day if you wish.)
- **Making the filling:
- Mix flour with water and keep aside.
- In a pan, add the oil and onion, sauté until onion is caramelized.
- Add the black pepper, oregano, and sausage. Pour the flour water mixture and stir on medium heat.
- Pour the milk, season with salt, and keep stirring on medium heat until you get a thick creamy consistency.
- Let the filling come to room temperature.
- **Making the Galette:
- Preheat oven to 190C/375F.
- Since the dough is very delicate, cut enough parchment paper to cover your baking tray. Place parchment paper on your working surface and dust with flour.
- Place the dough on the parchment paper and roll out to 12-13 inches wide. If the dough is hard, then keep it out of the fridge 3 minutes before rolling.
- Place the parchment paper with the dough in your baking tray.
- Pile the filling in the center of the dough, then spread evenly but keep it 2.5 inches away from the edges.
- Fold doughs edges, up and to the center do this clockwise.
- Brush the edges with milk.
- Bake the Galette for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
- Serve hot.