How can people BBQ out side in the summer? They must be very brave, but I’m not. In the summer, my activities are in the house, period.
But if it’s summer and you’d like to have grilled chicken because you just love how it tastes when grilled on charcoals, then I have a recipe just for you, and you won’t need charcoals too 😉
Middle Eastern mixed grills are popular and taste amazing, so tender and the flavor it gets from being grilled on charcoal not only enhances the taste, but makes it release unique aroma.
The basic ingredient for the marinade is onion juice, it gives the flavor of garlic and hint of ginger, not only that but the chicken will taste exactly like it’s been grilled on charcoals. You won’t believe it unless you try this recipe.
The usually tasteless and boring chicken breasts will turn into a moist, flavorful delight.
Whatever you do, do not bake chicken skewers in the oven, the chicken will turn out dry, I’m talking from experience! Although I’m using chicken breasts in this recipe, you can use chicken thighs if that’s what you prefer. The calories might increase a little (nothing to sweat about), but if you want to use chicken breasts, then grill it according to the recipe below, to get a tender and succulent chicken breasts.
Middle Eastern Chicken Skewers
Serves 3. 218 calories per serving
2 medium onions, minced
1 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
400 gm skinless chicken breast cut into cubes
Salt to taste (I used around 1/2 teaspoon)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon paprika or red chili powder (optional)
– Squeeze the onion, and keep its juice to use in the marinade.
– In a bowl, add the onion juice and the rest of ingredients except the chicken. Mix well. The color might turn pink, that’s normal when you mix onion with vinegar.
– Add the chicken and mix well. Cover and refrigerate overnight or at least for four hours.
– Skewer the chicken cubes and grill on grilling skillet or on electric grill, but make sure the heat is high. Grill the chicken on each side, for 3 minutes or until done. You can reduce the heat to medium high if you’re afraid to burn the chicken.
– When done serve hot with salad on the side.
*Grilling chicken on high heat will seal it from the outside and keep all the juices inside, this will cook the chicken breast and keep it tender.
*I’ve used zucchini, but you can use any vegetable you like.