I love chicken tikka, it is healthy and the blend of spices add so much depth to the flavor, above all the only time it takes is when grilling and marinating. An Indian delight found its way to our hearts easy!
If you had this dish in different restaurants, you might have noticed the different flavors. In India, the recipe for chicken tikka is modified depending on the state. In some recipes, there is yogurt, in another, there is lemon juice, in some, there is a mixture of garlic and ginger, so as you can see, there won’t be much change in the recipe yet it makes the taste a little different.
Making Chicken Tikka.
How to make the chicken tender.
Marinating the chicken is a very important step, the more you leave it to marinate the more tender it becomes after it is cooked. Chicken Tikka can be served with rice but mostly served with butter naan bread and paratha.
Some prefer less spice, therefore, this recipe for chicken tikka has great flavor and is not over seasoned. You can place the marinated chicken on paper towel to remove some of the seasonings if you wish, the chicken tikka will still taste amazing.
I didn’t use oil or butter in this recipe, I believe that chicken tikka is delicious even without the fat, but you can brush the chicken tikka pieces with butter when done for more flavor.
Chicken tikka can be grilled outdoor but can be cooked in the oven too. If you prefer to use the oven, make sure you have a grilling pan that you can safely use in the oven or a broiler pan with a rack. In case you are using a broiler pan, make sure to keep around half a cup of water in it to prevent the pan from burning.
- 2 skinless chicken leg thigh + legs around 775gm
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 garlic clove minces
- ¼ teaspoon clove powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoon yogurt
- Juice of half a lemon
- In a bowl add all the ingredients except the chicken. Mix well.
- Make long cuts on the chicken thigh and leg then add to the mixture above. Marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- If you want to cook the chicken in the oven, preheat the oven to 450F/ 230C. Place the chicken on a grill or broiling pan with a rack. Add ½ cup water in the broiling pan to prevent the pan from burning the oil dripping from the chicken. Place the chicken on the rack.
- Place the pan on the lowest rack of the oven. Flip chicken every 15 minutes.
- Cooking the chicken will take 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes depending on how big the chicken is.
- Cover the chicken for 6 minutes. Brush with butter if you wish and serve with Indian bread, or butter naan bread.
Follow me on Instagram.