There's no other Italian-American dish more comforting and delicious than Chicken Parmesan. And this recipe will give you the tastiest one with the juiciest chicken breast that's perfectly bread-coated and fried until golden brown, then topped with marinara sauce, and cheese.
Chicken Parmesan is a classic Italian dish that is loved by many. It consists of breaded chicken cutlets that are fried and then topped with tomato sauce and melted cheese. The dish is usually served over spaghetti or other pasta, but can also be served as an entrée on its own.
This recipe is not only incredibly easy to make, but it also features classic flavors that can rival ones from your favorite Italian-American restaurant. The chicken is perfectly juicy, yet crisp, and the marinara sauce and cheese go perfectly together. This is seriously a recipe that'll make you come back to it again and again!
🥘 INGREDIENTS YOU'LL NEED
All you need are some simple, pantry-staple ingredients to make this classic Italian recipe at home. Let's look at what these are in more detail.
You can scroll down to the recipe card for further details and instructions.
Chicken: First, you'll need chicken to make parmesan! I've used boneless skinless chicken breast for the perfect flavor. Even though chicken breast is lean, follow my recipe, and you'll end up with juicy, tender chicken.
Breadcrumbs: We'll coat our chicken in breadcrumbs to get a perfectly crisp top. Read the variations section below to learn about a special type of breadcrumb for crispier chicken parmesan.
Egg: We'll also need a large egg to use as a binding agent which will help our breadcrumbs stick to the chicken as we fry it till it's golden brown.
Cheese: You'll also need cheese to top off our chicken parmesan. My recipe calls for a combination of mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese for the best flavor!
🔪 HOW TO MAKE
Making this delicious Chicken Parmesan is super easy and rewarding. Let's take a look at what you'll need to do to make it at home.
The full instructions are in the recipe card below, but let's look at the main steps to making this chicken meal.
Start by preheating the oven to 350F/180C. Then prep the chicken by pounding the chicken breast until it is even in thickness. Season both sides with black pepper, salt, and paprika.
Next, dredge both sides of the chicken breast in flour. Now dip the chicken breast in the egg and then in the breadcrumbs. Set it aside.
Add oil to the frying pan, and add the chicken breast when hot. Fry for three minutes on each side or until golden in color.
Spread the marinara sauce over one side of the chicken breast, and add mozzarella cheese and parmesan on top of the sauce.
Place the chicken in a baking pan and bake in the previously heated oven for 12 minutes or until the chicken is done.
Your delicious Chicken Parmesan is ready to be served with some ziti or spaghetti!
💭 COOKING TIPS
- Ensure to pound the chicken breast until it is even in thickness, so it cooks evenly.
- Use a light hand when dredging the chicken in flour and breadcrumbs, as too much will make the coating heavy and dense.
- For extra flavor, add some Italian herbs such as oregano or basil to the breadcrumb mixture, or check out the variation section below for more ideas.
📖 DELICIOUS VARIATIONS
This delicious Chicken Parmesan recipe features classic flavors that you're going to absolutely love. But if you're looking to change things up, here are a few ideas you can try:
Herbs: You can add some dried Italian herbs to the breadcrumb mixture to change things up. Dried oregano and basil work beautifully with the flavors in this recipe.
Spicier: Traditionally, chicken parmesan is not a spicy dish, but that doesn't mean you can't make it spicy! Add a pinch of cayenne pepper to the chicken seasoning, or experiment with other spices, such as red chili powder.
Breadcrumbs: For a crispier texture, you can go for panko breadcrumbs, a Japanese breadcrumb brand with a flakier texture than regular breadcrumbs.
💬 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Chicken Parmesan is an Italian-American dish with breaded chicken cutlets fried and topped with tomato sauce and melted cheese. The dish is usually served over a bed of pasta or with a side of vegetables. It's a popular dish in restaurants and homes, and it's easy to make.
While you may be confused, the fact is that both Chicken Parmesan and Chicken Parmigiana are referring to the same delicious chicken recipe that features juicy, crisp breaded chicken with a classic Italian tomato sauce and cheese on top.
Chicken Parmesan is usually served over a bed of pasta, such as spaghetti or linguine. It can also be served with a side of vegetables, such as roasted zucchini or steamed broccoli.
🍲 MORE CHICKEN RECIPES YOU'LL LOVE
🌡️ STORING AND REHEATING
Fridge: You can store any leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to three days.
Freezer: I don't recommend freezing chicken parmesan as the chicken won't be as crisp, and the texture will change entirely.
Reheat: To reheat your chicken, preheat the oven to 350F/180C and let it warm up for 10-15 minutes. This will ensure that the chicken stays crisp but keep checking it as we don't want to overcook it.
Chicken Parmesan Recipe
- 2 boneless and skinless chicken breast
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup breadcrumbs place in large deep plate
- 1 large egg beaten keep in large deep plate
- 1 ¼ cup Marinara sauce or as much as you want to use.
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 teaspoon parmesan
- ¼ cup oil to fry
- Preheat oven to 350F/ 180C.
- Pound the chicken breast until it is even in thickness. Season both sides with black pepper, salt, and paprika.
- Dredge both sides of the chicken breast in flour. Dip the chicken breast in the egg and then in the breadcrumbs. Keep aside.
- Add oil to frying pan and when hot add the chicken breast. Fry for three minutes on each side or until golden in color.
- Spread the marinara sauce over one side of the chicken breast, add mozzarella cheese and parmesan on top of the sauce.
- Place the chicken in a baking pan and bake in the previously heated oven for 12 minutes or until the chicken is done.
- Serve with ziti or spaghetti.
- You can use chicken thighs if that's what you have.
- Although egg gives flavor to the chicken breast if you are allergic, you can use buttermilk.
- Traditionally chicken parmesan is served with pasta but you will also like it when served with parboiled rice.
Chicken Parmesan is definitely a favourite and yours looks simply perfect.
David @ Spiced
Oh, this looks absolutely amazing, Muna! Chicken parm is totally one of my favorite comfort food meals, and I could totally go for this one sometime during the holidays! Speaking of the holidays, I hope you and your husband have a happy holidays! P.S. Good luck on catching Santa this year! 😉
Hey David! I strongly believe that chicken parmesan is almost everybody's favorite, and yes it is a great addition to your dinner table. Thanks for your wishes 🙂
I'm not sure if I can catch Santa this year, I guess someone told him about my intentions and he won't be visiting the area I live in 🙁 .... LOL!