Would you like to make an amazing Apple coffee cake with streusel inside and out? Yes, this dessert is full of goodies, like fresh apples, delicious buttery streusel, moist cake, and I’m going to show you how to prepare this gem in a few minutes.
By now you must have noticed how much I love coffee cakes. I made yogurt coffee cake, blueberry coffee cake, plus more. I’m not crazy about cakes with frosting, I mean, I don’t mind it but will not crave it as much as I crave coffee cakes. I can’t resist the combination of crunchy buttery streusel and the moist cake!
How to make Apple coffee cake
What I find fascinating about this coffee cake is having apples mixed with the batter, then having a layer of the streusel in the middle of the batter and spreading streusel on top of the apple coffee cake.
The batter is oil based, so the cake can be refrigerated and will stay moist. I usually make my coffee cakes using butter, but there is enough butter in the streusel which nicely compensates for not having any in the apple coffee cake batter.
I have added cinnamon in the streusel, but you can add nutmeg too. You can omit both spices if you wish and the cake will taste delicious anyway.
To glaze or not to glaze?
This coffee cake is not too sweet, so if you have a sweet tooth, you might want to glaze the cake. Or even add more sugar in the streusel. Usually, cakes served with coffee or tea are not too sweet!
This coffee cake goes well with chilled milk too; if you have kids you can treat them with a slice of cake and a small glass of milk
The only way you can ruin this coffee cake is by over baking it, so keep an eye on the cake while in the oven. Test the cake by inserting a toothpick in the middle of the cake and if it comes out clean remove it from the oven immediately.
More Cakes You Will Love to Make:
FOR THE CAKE
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup of sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup milk
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium apple peeled and chopped or 180 gm of chopped apple
FOR THE STREUSEL
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar + 2 tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 6 tablespoon butter chilled
HOW TO MAKE THE STREUSEL
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- Add the chilled butter to the previous mixture and rub together until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
HOW TO MAKE THE CAKE
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C. Line a 9 x 5 x 3-inch baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk the flour with baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Keep aside.
- In a different bowl, beat the egg with vanilla and sugar for one minute.
- Add the oil and milk to the egg and beat for another minute.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix gently until combined.
- Add the chopped apples to the batter and mix gently.
- Pour half the batter in the previously prepared baking pan, then evenly spread half the streusel. Pour the remaining half of the batter on the streusel and then evenly spread the remaining half of the streusel to cover the batter.
- Bake, the cake for 30 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake, comes out clean. Make sure not to overbake the cake.
This page may contain affiliate links, which pay me a small commission
For my referral at no extra cost to you.
Thanks for supporting Munatycooking.com