This Salmon Patties recipe features delicious patties made using canned salmon, and a secret ingredient that makes them crisp on the outside and moist on the inside!
Mashed potatoes is the secret ingredient that gives these patties the most delicious flavor and texture that's way better than panko breadcrumbs or anything else you've ever tried!
They are great for breakfast or brunch and can also be a quick midweek dinner with some side dishes! Yet it’s versatile enough to be a great snack on its own. By using simple ingredients, you’ll be able to make the most delicious Salmon Patties in no time!
🥘 INGREDIENTS YOU'LL NEED
You only need a handful of pantry staple ingredients to make these patties at home easily!
You can scroll down to the recipe card for further details and instructions.
Potatoes: Instead of breadcrumbs, we’ll use potatoes for a delicious crisp flavor. Plus, potatoes help keep your patties together and prevent breakage.
Salmon: We will use canned salmon for this recipe since it’s easy to store and always available. You can also use fresh salmon by baking it and then flaking it.
Egg yolk: We’ll need the yolk of one egg to use as a binding agent in the recipe. This will also give your patties a slightly rich and delicious flavor.
Celery: Finely chopped celery goes beautifully with the Salmon Patties to add a refreshing crunch to them. It helps enhance the flavor and elevate it to the next level.
Tomato: Some deseeded tomatoes to add to the mix. Trust me; it makes all the difference.
🔪 HOW TO MAKE
Making salmon patties is as easy as adding all the ingredients in a bowl and mixing them. You can cook them even if you have no experience with cooking!
The full instructions are in the recipe card below, but let's look at the main steps to making this dessert.
Start by removing the bones and the skin from the salmon. Then add all the ingredients to a large bowl. Use a fork to mix the salmon with the remaining ingredients while mashing the potato.
When the ingredients are well-combined, form equal-shaped salmon patties using the mixture and place them on a plate.
Time to cook them! Heat a frying pan or large skillet and then add around three tablespoons of oil to shallow fry the patties.
Place the patties in the heated pan and fry on medium heat until golden brown. Flip and fry the other side until golden brown.
💭 COOKING TIPS
Here are some bonus tips for you to be able to make the tastiest patties:
- The key here is to pick a good-quality canned salmon. There are many out there, some canned salmon have a loud smell, and using that type can ruin your salmon patties recipe.
- When frying the salmon patties, remember that the ingredients do not need to be cooked, except the egg yolk, and that won’t take long, so your goal is to get golden-looking salmon patties and not overcook them. These patties taste great, and overcooking them will surely ruin the flavor.
- I have used a few spices, and of course, you can use any combination of spices you like. Still, as always, I think it is best to follow this salmon patty recipe without changing anything, and after tasting the patties, you will have a better idea of what to add or omit.
- To customize it more to your liking, you can also experiment with fresh herbs and aromatics to make it according to your preferences. Some good options include fresh dill, carrots, garlic, and green onions.
📖 DELICIOUS VARIATIONS
This recipe is delicious as it is, but if you want to customize it, here are a few ideas you can try:
Breadcrumbs: If you don't like adding potatoes, you can also make this recipe using panko breadcrumbs. All you need to do is coat the patties with them before pan-frying them.
Seasonings: You can also add any seasonings and spices that you love best, such as dried basil, thyme, or even some paprika or cayenne pepper to spice things up!
Fresh herbs: If you like fresh herbs such as cilantro, dill, or parsley, you can also add them to the mixture for some extra flavor and freshness.
Aromatics: You can use delicious aromatics such as garlic or green onions by chopping them up finely and adding them to your salmon mixture!
Cheese: Some grated parmesan cheese also works well with all the flavors in this delicious seafood dish.
💬 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Salmon Patties, also known as Salmon Cakes, are delicious, pan-fried patties that are moist on the inside, and crisp on the outside.
Salmon patties can be served with Creamy Grits, or green salad, or make a sandwich and enjoy.
You can make salmon burgers from these patties and serve them with tartar sauce on the side. You can also have them as a mid-week dinner with some rice and veggies.
Mashed potatoes are the secret ingredient that'll give you the most delicious salmon patties! It works even better than bread crumbs and will give you an incredibly delicious flavor and texture that you won't resist.
Eggs bind the patty mixture perfectly, so your patties won't fall apart while you're frying them!
🍲 MORE SEAFOOD RECIPES YOU'LL LOVE
🌡️ STORING AND REHEATING
Fridge: Cooked leftover patties can be stored in the fridge for up to three days in an airtight container. You can have them cold straight out of the fridge, or warm them up briefly in a skillet over low heat or in the microwave.
Freezer: Salmon patties also freeze well for up to three months. All you need to do is wrap them in plastic wrap and foil before popping them in the freezer.
Reheating: Let the patties thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating them in the oven or stovetop.
Salmon Patties Recipe
- 1 small potato peeled cut in thick slices and boiled
- 400 grams canned salmon
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large egg yolk
- ¼ cup finely chopped celery
- ¼ cup chopped deseeded tomato
- 3 tablespoon Oil for shallow frying
- Remove the bones and the skin from the salmon.
- Add all the ingredients in mixing bowl. Use a fork to mix the salmon with the rest of the ingredients while mashing the potato in the process.
- When the ingredients are well-combined, form equal size salmon patties and place on a plate.
- Heat a frying pan and then add around three tablespoon oil to shallow fry the patties.
- Place the patties in the heated pan and fry on medium heat until golden brown. Flip and fry the other side until golden brown.
- Serve with green salad or grits.
- Use high-quality canned salmon.
- You can mix olive oil with butter to shallow fry the patties for more flavor.
- You can make the patties smaller for the kids and serve them as sandwiches.
Leave a Comment