Today I am going to teach you how to make one of the most sophisticated dinners ever! Are you ready? Afghani Pulao is one of the most famous dishes in Afghanistan, it is served in weddings and special occasions, but from now on, you can have it on your dinner table and wow your family and guests.
To make Afghani Pulao, you have to gather fresh and high-quality ingredients, this will help in enhancing the flavor and the look of this dish.
More on Afghani Pulao.
Usually, the chicken and rice are buried under beautiful jewels and here I’m talking about the garnishing part. Raisins and carrots are used to garnish Afghani Pulao, but the walnuts take this dish to another mouthwatering level.
When eating Afghani Pulao, you will feel that all the flavors are in harmony with one another, except for the walnuts. The walnuts have such a characteristic that it stands out to give something unique, something extra.
How to make delicious Afghani Pulao.
Walnuts are a delicious and versatile ingredient that added flavor, crunch and depth to this dish. Having walnuts as garnish has made this Afghani delight come to life, the golden color of these walnuts looked like scattered pieces of gold.
I have used California Walnuts, crispy, delicious, and tastes fresh. I knew that I’m using a quality product when I opened the package and smelled a balanced nutty and sweet aroma.
- 1 ½ cup parboiled basmati rice
- 4 chicken thighs skinless
- 3 carrots cut into julienne
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup California Walnuts
- 3 minced garlic
- 3/4 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 2 medium onion chopped
- 1/3 cup oil + three tablespoon to fry carrot walnuts, and raisins
- Salt to taste
- 4 ½ cup hot water
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder optional
- Wash and rinse the rice 4 times. Soak it in water and leave aside for at least 30 minutes.
- In a saucepan, add oil and fry the onion until brown in color. Drain onion from oil and add to a blender. Add three tablespoon water to the onion and blend until smooth. Keep aside.
- In a large pan, add the remaining oil from the onion and when hot add the chicken thighs.
- Brown the chicken thighs from both sides. Add the onion, garlic, salt, and spices. Mix well.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of hot water, let the mixture simmer until the chicken is cooked. When around ¼ cup water is left in the pan, remove the chicken and keep aside.
- Add three cups water to the pan, when it comes to a boil add the rice (this is the time to check if the sauce needs more salt.) Reduce heat to lowest, cover the pan tightly, and let it cook for 35 minutes.
- Add three tablespoon oil to a frying pan and shallow fry raisins and walnuts, remove and add carrot and cardamom powder, fry for three minutes.
- To serve, dish the rice in a big plate, add the chicken and garnish with fried carrot, raisins, and walnuts.
Follow me on Instagram, and if you happen to make any of my recipes, please post the picture and mention me in your post, or use this hashtag #munatycooking. I would love to see your creation.