Chicken Shawarma is a popular side dish in the middle east, and the flavor changes a little depending on which country you are in. For example, shawarma in Syria has more spices in the marinade than the Lebanese version. In some parts of the middle east, the chicken shawarma is actually spicy.
I have taught you in previous posts how to make Pita bread. I have shared pita bread made with milk, and typical pita bread that is mostly made in Egypt. If you are looking for a healthier version, then I do also have whole wheat pita bread. Now that you have the pita bread all ready, let’s start making a juicy and flavorful chicken shawarma.
Making chicken shawarma is so easy you might decide to make your own instead of buying one. In this recipe I have used a mixture of spices used in Syria and Lebanon, the combination resulted in irresistible chicken shawarma.
The lime or lemon juice along with the yogurt work on tenderizing the chicken although mostly chicken breast is used in making chicken shawarma I have used thighs, just because I like the taste and texture, but if you go with chicken breast you will still get juicy and tender slices.
Easy Chicken Shawarma.
I suggest that you try this recipe as is and if you are happy with the result (which I’m sure you’ll be.) be creative and change the ingredients, by adding more spices maybe or using Italian seasoning.
I have a feeling that everything in the ingredients list below is available in your kitchen and in case you don’t have yogurt use buttermilk, if you don’t have buttermilk make one by adding two and a half tablespoon of white vinegar to ¾ cup milk, cover for 3 minutes then use it in this recipe.
Why wait? Get your ingredients ready, you are going to have chicken shawarma tonight!
- 350 gm chicken slices (I used thighs)
- ½ cup yogurt
- Juice of half lime or lemon
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon allspice powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Mix all the ingredients above, cover and let it marinate for 2 to 3 hours in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C.
- Remove chicken from the marinade and distribute on a baking sheet.
- Bake on the low rack for 20 minutes uncovered.
- You can drizzle the chicken shawarma with olive oil for more flavor if you wish.
Follow me on Pinterest.