Learn how to make Juicy and tender Rotisserie Chicken in your oven with simple spices that will bring out great flavors. I have included a recipe for delicious roasted vegetables that will complement the rotisserie chicken. In this post, you will find a few ways to clean the chicken to help the seasoning work the best. It takes 7 minutes to prepare this dish.
This chicken recipe is much better than the store bought, with no additives or preservatives! Seasoning the chicken with salt and black pepper, properly preparing the chicken, and following the recipe for roasting the chicken will result in a great Sunday Dinner! Watch the video and read the tips on preparing the chicken to get a golden brown perfect Rotisserie Chicken!
What you need to make Rotisserie Chicken
You need 4 ingredients to make a delicious and juicy Rotisserie chicken; I’m sure you have all the ingredients in your kitchen, so you are set to go!
1400 gm or 3 lbs whole chicken.
Black pepper. For more flavor, use freshly crushed black pepper.
Oil. Use flavorless oil because we will roast the chicken for a long time, and flavorless oils like sunflower oil will not change the taste of the chicken or burn.
How to get rid of the poultry smell from the chicken? Cleaning and preparing the chicken.
There are three ways to clean the chicken so you can enjoy every bite of it. Remove the giblet bag if there is any, before cleaning the chicken!
Flour and salt
Use the sharp side of a knife and run it gently all over the chicken skin; this will remove any filament left on the chicken skin. Wash the chicken with lukewarm water, add ¼ cup flour mixed with 1 ½ tablespoon salt to the chicken and rub vigorously for two to three minutes, don’t forget to rub the chicken cavity too. Because the chicken is wet, the flour mix might turn into a wet dough, but that’s fine. Wash the chicken and pat it dry.
Stilled white vinegar and warm water
You must remove the filament from the chicken skin first using a knife as per the step mentioned above. Wash the chicken and then rub it with vinegar for 2 to three minutes, don’t forget the cavity! Wash thoroughly with warm water. Pat the chicken dry.
Boiling water and salt
In a large pan, add enough water to cover half the chicken. Add one teaspoon salt and bring the water to a boil. Place the chicken in the boiling water for 2 minutes, then flip the chicken and let it boil for two more minutes. This step will eliminate any smell. Pat the chicken dry and then follow the recipe below.
How to Make Rotisserie Chicken
After cleaning the chicken, season it with black pepper and salt. Rub the seasoning well all over the chicken.
Pour a tablespoon of oil on both sides of the chicken and do not rub.
Place the chicken in a baking pan and roast in a preheated oven 200C/400F.
Flip the chicken every 20 minutes, and that’s the reason why you get a juicy chicken that has the same taste as rotisserie chicken!
When the inner temperature of the chicken reaches 74C/165F, take out the chicken from the oven and cover it with aluminum foil and let it rest for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
Resting the chicken immediately after cooking is essential
Like a steak, the chicken needs to rest after roasting or grilling. If you cut the chicken immediately after you bring it out of the oven, all those fantastic juices will come out, and the chicken will become dry. Allowing the chicken to rest for at least 20 minutes while covered with aluminum foil will let the meat hold onto those juices; hence you get a tender and juicy chicken. Resting the chicken also enhances its flavor.
Roasted vegetables to serve with the rotisserie chicken
I have used onion, carrot, whole garlic, and potatoes to roast. When you cut the potatoes, make sure it’s not bigger than 2 inches, or it might take a longer time to cook. To ensure that all the vegetables cook simultaneously with the chicken, I have placed the vegetables after seasoning it in a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan. This way, the vegetables won’t go dry, the moisture created between the vegetables cook it slowly and mixing the vegetables twice while cooking also ensures that the cooking is even.
The spices I have used for the roasted vegetables are salt, black pepper, paprika, and cumin.
How to safely store cooked chicken
We have to be careful when dealing with meat because the bacteria grow on it after 2 hours of cooking. It’s best to consume the chicken immediately after cooking or properly store it.
Refrigerating cooked chicken: When the chicken cools, place it in an airtight container and refrigerate it for up to 3 days.
Freezing cooked chicken: Place the chicken in an airtight container or a Ziplock bag, make sure to write the date you have stored the chicken on the bag and the container. Make sure to remove excess air from the Ziplock bag. Freeze the chicken for up to 3 months.
To use frozen cooked chicken, place the chicken in the fridge for a few hours to thaw, and then use it!
If you like this Rotisserie Chicken recipe, you will enjoy these dishes:
How to Make Rotisserie Chicken in the Oven
FOR THE CHICKEN
- 1400 gm or 3lbs whole chicken
- ½ teaspoon freshly crushed black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon oil or 1 tablespoon oil mixed with 1 tablespoon melted butter
FOR THE ROASTED VEGETABLES
- 2 medium potatoes cut into 2-inch cubes
- 2 carrots cut into 1-inch rounds
- 1 onion cut into quarters
- 3 whole cloves of garlic
SPICES FOR THE VEGETABLES
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin powder
- 3 tablespoon oil
MAKING THE ROTISSERIE CHICKEN
- Preheat the oven to 400F/200C.
- Clean the chicken as per the post above. Read more under (How to get rid of the poultry smell from the chicken), and don’t forget to remove the giblet bag.
- Place the chicken in a baking pan and season the chicken from both sides with salt and black pepper.
- Pour the oil on both sides of the chicken without rubbing.
- Place the chicken in the oven and flip it every 20 minutes—no basting needed here.
- Usually, this size bird will take 1 hour and 40 minutes to cook, but it depends on your oven. It’s best to remove the chicken from the oven when the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 74C/165F.
- After removing the chicken from the oven, cover it with aluminum foil and let it rest from 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve with roasted vegetables. (recipe follows).
MAKING THE ROASTED VEGETABLES
- In a mixing bowl. Add all the vegetables and seasoning. Mix well.
- Pour the oil and mix for a minute to make sure the oil is covering all the vegetables.
- Add the vegetables in a small baking pan; I have used a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan.
- Roast in the oven along with the chicken, both the vegetables and the chicken should cook at the same time because the vegetables are not spread on a sheet, they will take a longer time to cook.
- After an hour of roasting, mix the vegetables with a wooden spoon or a spatula and place it back in the oven to continue roasting.
- If you want the vegetables to cook faster, cover the vegetables with aluminum foil before placing it in the oven and remove the foil 30 minutes before taking it out of the oven.
This page may contain affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral.