The go-to recipe for delicious, melt in your mouth scalloped potatoes.
Keyword scalloped potatoes
Prep Time 15minutes
Cook Time 1hour
Total Time 1hour15minutes
Author Muna Kenny
4cupspeeled and thinly sliced potatoesI have used russet potatoes
2tablespoonfinely chopped onion
2garlic cloves minced
½cube chicken stock
½teaspoonblack pepperpreferable crushed
2 ½cupof whole milkyou can use low fat but not skim milk
1cupshredded cheddar cheeseor your preferred cheese
Heat the oven to 200C/4OOF. Grease 9"x13" baking dish and keep aside. You can skip greasing the pan if using a nonstick baking dish.
Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the olive oil, then add in the chopped onion.
Sauté the onion until translucent, then add the minced garlic and cook for a few seconds.
Stir in the flour and cook for a minute or until the flour no longer has a raw smell.
Gradually add the milk while stirring to avoid forming lumps, pour the heavy cream and continue stirring. Add the chicken stock cube, black pepper, salt, and keep stirring until the sauce is thick and covers both sides of a spoon. Keep aside.
In a mixing bowl, mix the sliced potatoes with one and a half cups of the prepared sauce. Pour the potato mixture into the baking dish.
Pour the remaining sauce over the potatoes and evenly spread the shredded cheese.
Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes on the middle shelf.
Uncover the baking dish and bake for 30 more minutes.
Let it cool for 20 minutes before serving.
Serve warm with steak or any baked or fried meat.
1. Evenly slice the potatoes.
2. Slice the potatoes and submerge them in a bowl full of water mixed with one tablespoon lemon to prevent the potatoes from turning brown. I can keep the sliced potatoes in that water lemon mixture for more than an hour, and the slices will remain bright.
3. It’s best to shred the cheese before adding it to the recipe. Store-bought shredded cheese has some cornstarch in it, and most of the time, the cheese does not melt evenly.
4. Use purple onion for better flavor, but you can use yellow onion too.
5. Always use freshly minced garlic.
6. Use a low sodium chicken cube and add the salt after tasting the sauce first.
7. If you are looking for the authentic look of scalloped potatoes, then do not use less sauce.