What do you do when one of your guests is lactose intolerant and the dessert you made requires caramel sauce? You improvise to make everyone happy and use this recipe for Vegan Caramel Sauce.
How to make a Vegan Caramel Sauce.
My friends suddenly decided to visit and I was so happy to have them over, after all, it’s been a long time since I gossiped! Like a good host I ran to the kitchen to make few appetizers and a dessert, luckily, the dessert didn’t have any dairy product in it, but it needed a caramel sauce.
I was about to open the heavy cream container, when my friend called again and said, “Please don’t make anything special, tea will be fine, our friend is lactose intolerant, she may not be able to eat everything you are planning to make.”
I want all my friends and my new guest to enjoy my food, so I asked uncle google to find me a dairy free caramel sauce. Most of the recipes called for ingredients I didn’t have at home.
Giving up on uncle google, I decided to come up with a recipe and prayed for it to work. To my surprise, the recipe was a success (for a vegan caramel sauce). Everyone enjoyed the dessert and the vegan caramel sauce.
To be honest, the Vegan Caramel Sauce does not taste like a caramel sauce made from cream of course, but it went well with dessert and has fewer calories.
Since I have used cornstarch to achieve the glossy and creamy texture, it is better to use the sauce the same day, refrigerating it will not bring any change to the taste but the texture will not be as smooth.
Follow me on Instagram, and if you happen to make any of my recipes, please post the picture and mention me in your post, or use this hashtag #munatycooking. I would love to see your creation.
As for my recipe, here you go!
Vegan Caramel Sauce
- 3 tablespoon coconut oil or flavorless cooking oil
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- ½ cup water
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: You can add spices like cinnamon instead of vanilla
- In a saucepan, add the oil, sugar, and water.
- Stir the mixture until the sugar dissolves.
- On a medium heat, stir the previous mixture until it comes to a boil.
- Add the cornstarch mixture while stirring. When the sauce becomes thick, remove from heat.
- Add the vanilla or the spice of your choice and stir.
- Let the caramel reach room temperature. Then let it sit for another 15 minutes before use.
- The caramel sauce will get thicker when completely cool.
- Better use it the same day.
You're so smart! I know your friend was pleased and felt very special that you created this just for her. And I'm sure of course, it was a wonderful dessert!
She was happy and I'm glad that we all enjoyed the company of each other besides the dessert of course 🙂
You're a fast thinker! Being able to think of doing this to make all your visitors happy. They must have had a good time!
Hey Nagi! Thanks for the compliment :), we had a good time indeed.