My craving for a good steak often hit the roof, I mean I want my steak and I want to enjoy it. When losing weight, protein plays a great part in your diet, it helps in building muscles and it keeps you full for long.Fish, chicken, and eggs are great sources of protein and it is better to consume white meat than red. However, when you want a steak, you want a steak.
Many over cook their steak and this results in a dry tasteless steak. The key to a good steak is a very hot pan/grill and giving your steak the time to rest. When the steak rests, it actually continues to cook and hold on to the juices and that gives you a tender, juicy steak.
Steak with Mushroom and Caramelized Onion
Serves 2. 442 calories per serving.
200gm top sirloin steak thinly sliced – lean
2 medium onion sliced
1 medium potato
2 cup thick slices mushroom
1 tablespoon + teaspoon olive oil
1/4 cup hot water
1/2 teaspoon olive oil for potato
For the steak:
– Season the steak with salt and black pepper on both sides.
– Heat the pan or grill until it starts to smoke. No need to add oil, if the pan is very hot the steak will not stick.
– Add the steak to the grill and after 1 minute turn to the other side and cook for another minute.
– Remove steak from grill and cover immediately, Let it rest for 3 minutes before serving.
For the mushroom and onion:
– Add oil to the pan, add the onion and sauté until translucent, add salt to the onion and sauté some more.
– When the onion starts to turn light brown, add the mushrooms.
– When the onion and mushroom, turn brown pour the hot water. Season with salt and black pepper.
– When mushrooms are cooked, turn off heat and keep a side.
For the potato:
– Cut the potato into wedges, season with salt, black pepper, and thyme.
– Pour olive oil on the potatoes.
– Put the potatoes in aluminum foil and seal properly.
– Bake in a preheated oven 200C/400F for 20 – 25 minutes.