You heard that right, I’m not giving up on my creamy mushroom sauce, not while on low calorie diet. I have to have it at least one time a week.
This rich creamy sauce although simple but can make your eyes roll. The mushroom in this recipe works perfect as a substitute for meat.
One bite is enough to make the different flavors explode in your mouth. The sweetness of the onions, the creaminess of the sauce, the meaty texture of the mushroom, and oh boy did I forget the pasta!
Now, I’m not saying that you have to eat this dish on regular basis, but when you crave pasta, there you have it, light version that will kill your cravings for carbs and not add pounds on your waist.
I always say, keep a good workout regimen and practice healthy choices. Yes you can indulge yourself every now and then, but don’t stop making healthy choices. I sometimes have a big glass of smoothie, which is full of fruit and vegetables as my lunch, dinner, or even breakfast. Other times a grilled chicken breast with salad on the side can fill me up good.
But those days, when my demons are fully awake, and demand some hardcore indulgence, I choose to go for a light version of a heavy meal, and that makes them (my demons) sleep for long time.
Penne with creamy sauce and mushroom
Serves 2. One serving 300 calories
100gm or 1 1/4 cup uncooked whole wheat penne
3 tablespoons low fat cream cheese
1 1/2 cup sliced mushroom
1/2 cup low fat milk
1 small onion finely chopped
1 hot green chili chopped
3/4 tablespoon olive oil
1 diced garlic
Black pepper powder
– Cook penne as instructed on the pack.
– Add olive oil to a hot pan, add the onion and sauté until light brown.
– Add 1/4 cup hot water and stir the onion, then add the mushrooms and stir until the mushrooms turn light brown.
– Add the green chili, then add the garlic and stir.
– Add the cream cheese and stir well.
– Add the milk and keep stirring until well combined.
– Season the sauce with salt and black pepper.
– Add the penne and stir to combine.
– Turn off the heat and allow the pasta to absorb the flavor from the sauce for at least three minutes.
– Serve hot.