Today’s bread recipe is a breakfast replacer, all you have to do is take a slice and accompany it with a glass of low fat milk, and you are ready for the day. Although the bread dough has no eggs, it is fluffy and light in texture.
Please read the notes at the end of the recipe for best results!
Nutella Braided Bread
Serves 7. 295 calories per serving.
2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon active yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon orange zest
3/4 cup warm water (you may need more)
1/2 cup Nutella (keep 2 tablespoons on the side to drizzle on top later)
– Mix water, sugar and yeast, cover for 10-15 minutes.
– Add oil to yeast mixture and stir.
– In a bowl add flour, salt, and orange zest, mix well then add yeast mixture.
– Knead for 10 minutes. Dough should be smooth and not sticky.
– Cover dough with wet kitchen towel, keep in warm place to double in size, should take an hour and half.
– Flour the working surface. Little amount of flour will do since this dough is forgiving and doesn’t stick much when rolling.
– Roll into 9″x12″ rectangle. Spread the Nutella one inch away from the edges.
– Roll tightly from the longer side, Pinch the ends and place seem side at the bottom.
– Leaving one end intact cut the log down the middle with a knife.
– Now you have to halves, twist them upwards for the Nutella to be seen.
– Braid by twisting one-half over the other. Cover with plastic wrap and let it rest for 20 minutes.
– Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
– You can brush the dough with milk, or beaten egg before baking it. I didn’t.
– Place parchment paper on baking sheet, transfer the braided bread on parchment paper. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes.
*This dough can be prepared at night. Cover and place in the fridge. Take it out 30 minutes before using.
* Rolling the dough into a log can be messy, so after spreading Nutella, you can place it in the fridge until Nutella firms up a little, and then roll into a log.
* The Nutella bread will not need much time in the oven, so keep an eye on it or it will over bake.
*You can brush the bread with egg wash (beating and egg yolk with two-tablespoon water). I didn’t use an egg wash when I baked this bread.