Spread the love
I woke up this morning, with strong craving of butter on hot, freshly baked bread. Rustic was all I could hear in my head. My craze for rustic breads is for not only the amazing taste and awesome crust, but also the fact that it goes well with almost anything. Be it cheese, jam, coffee, butter, or olive oil. I mean, this bread can get in to your salad and add a good flavor. However, if you want to experience the real deal, you might want to indulge yourself or even your guests, and have it with some caviar.
When you think about baking your own bread, the picture of kneading for long time comes in your mind, and to some it’s not a pleasant one. In fact, most of those who wish to bake their own bread refrain from the idea for that same reason, or because they don’t have a bread machine. However, making this bread is somewhat too good to be true, since it requires no kneading.
It took me almost two minutes just putting the ingredients together and mixing the dough in a bowl. I love baking this bread!
I’m aware that baking the perfect bread with perfect crust can be at times a mission hard to accomplish, but I’ve learnt few tricks and I’ll share them with you in this post, it will bring a good loaf of bread out of your oven every time you bake.
3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 cup warm water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon active yeast
Extra flour for dusting
– In a bowl, add water, yeast, salt, and sugar. Mix and let it rest for 1 minute.
– Add the flour and mix well using a spatula.
– Cover the bowl with wet cloth and leave in warm place to rise for 2 hours.
– Dust your baking pan with flour and transfer the dough to it.
– Dust your hands with flour and shape the dough into any shape you like.
– Sprinkle the dough with flour and leave it to rise again for 20 to 35 minutes.
– Make three 1/4 inch deep cuts on the dough.
– Put a small pot filled halfway with hot water at the bottom rack of a preheated oven 392F/200C.
– Bake your bread on the middle rack for 35 to 40 minutes.
– If your oven doesn’t have a fan, turn of the oven after the bread is done, then turn on the broiler to give the bread a nice brown colored crust.
– Transfer to a cooling rack, and then serve.
*Do not open the oven door the first 15 minutes.
*Do not increase or decrease the temperature while baking this bread.
*If you decide to use whole wheat, or a mixture of different flours, you might need to add more water.