When I travel I make sure to bring back some great recipes, and (Qelabah) as it’s called in Yemen, is a must share recipe.
People usually have it for breakfast, but I can have it anytime. It’s amazing how simple ingredients bring so much flavor. Adding olive oil at the end makes this creamy delightful dish richer.
At times, I use it as a spread in my sandwich, or just dip my toast in it.
Mashed Fava with TomatoPrint Rate
- 1 cup cooked or canned fava beans
- 1 chopped tomato
- 1 finely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons tahini sesame paste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed optional
- Fry the onion until transparent, add tomatoes, garlic, and cumin.
- Stir for 3 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the fava and mash with the back of a spoon. Stir on low heat
- for 2 minutes.
- Add the tahini and stir to mix it. Add 1/2 cup water and stir for 2
- minutes on medium heat.
- When serving pour some olive oil on top.