Spread the love
Most of us like macaroni and cheese, it’s a comfort food and kids just love it, including the choosy ones. I feel guilty after having a nice bowl of mac & cheese, I mean look at all the goodies, cheese, eggs, white sauce, pasta, and let’s not forget the butter, and at times I’m creative so I sprinkle bread crumbs on top.
I found this recipe, I gave it a try, and guess what? Guilt was never felt. Don’t get me wrong, it has everything a usual mac & cheese have, but it was light and fluffy. I’m not exaggerating when I say that I had a whole ramekin but felt like I had only three spoons. One thing you have to keep in mind, DO NOT over bake it, or like any over baked dish it’ll come out dry.
Let’s list what you’ll need to create this beauty 🙂
Making Macaroni and Cheese Soufflé.
Macaroni and Cheese SouffléPrint Rate
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 cups cooked elbow macaroni I used whole wheat macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese or a mix of your favorite cheese
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
- In a saucepan melt the butter, add the flour and stir on medium heat for a minute.
- Add the milk gradually, around three tablespoon at a time, while stirring to avoid lumps.
- Add the salt and black pepper and stir the sauce until it thickens.
- Remove saucepan from heat and add the cheese, stir until the cheese is melted.
- Give the egg yolks a whisk and add to the cheese and sauce mixture, stir well.
- Now add the macaroni and mix. Keep aside.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg white until you get a stiff peak.
- Gently pour the egg white on the mac and cheese mixture, and fold very gently until well combined.
- Transfer in buttered ramekins. let the mixture fill each ramekin. The ramekins I used holds 1 1/4 cup, or 2.5"x4".
- Bake on the middle rack for 15-20 minutes or until the surface turns golden.
- Serve immediately.