The problem was what to call it. I guess Baked Mac and Cheese with Onion and Bell pepper sounds convenient!
In this mac and cheese dish, I rebelled and took out cheddar cheese and instead added two delicious and creamy delights, Arla Edam and Arla Havarti cheese.
I have to admit that I was munching on the cheese while preparing this dish. The Havarti Jalapeno and caraway are my favorite snacks now, a slice after a slice after a slice, Yum!
This mac and cheese is best served warm, so you can enjoy the aroma of the vegetables used and the creamy texture of the cheese.
Let’s get cooking!
- 1 cup dry elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup chopped spring onion
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup cold milk
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 cup Arla’s Edam cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup Arla’s Havarti Jalapeno shredded
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper
- Boil macaroni as per package. I like to boil mine for 12 minutes, I love it well done.
- Grease a 9” baking pan.
- In a sauce pan, add 1/2 tablespoon butter and when it melts add the spring onions and bell pepper. Sauté for two minutes. Keep aside.
- In the same sauce pan add 2 tablespoon butter, when it melts add the flour and stir until the raw smell of flour disappears, may take two minutes on medium heat.
- Pour the milk and continue stirring, when the sauce is thick add both cheese, green onion and bell pepper mixture, mustard, and stir.
- Season with salt and black pepper and stir some more on medium heat.
- In the baking pan, add the macaroni and egg, mix well, then pour the sauce on top and mix using a spoon.
- Bake in a preheated oven 350F/180C for 20 – 25 minutes.