I never met anyone who doesn’t love macaroni and cheese, and believe me I’ve tasted different versions of it, that I’ve decided to come up with my own.
The problem was what to call it. I guess Baked Mac and Cheese with Onion and Bell pepper sounds convenient!
In this mac and cheese dish, I rebelled and took out cheddar cheese and instead added two delicious and creamy delights, Arla Edam and Arla Havarti cheese.
I have to admit that I was munching on the cheese while preparing this dish. The Havarti Jalapeno and caraway are my favorite snacks now, a slice after a slice after a slice, Yum!
This mac and cheese is best served warm, so you can enjoy the aroma of the vegetables used and the creamy texture of the cheese.
- 1 cup dry elbow macaroni
- ¼ cup chopped spring onion
- ¼ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 ½ tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cup cold milk
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 cup Arla’s Edam cheese shredded
- ½ cup Arla’s Havarti Jalapeno shredded
- Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Black pepper
- Boil macaroni as per package. I like to boil mine for 12 minutes, I love it well done.
- Grease a 9” baking pan.
- In a sauce pan, add ½ tablespoon butter and when it melts add the spring onions and bell pepper. Sauté for two minutes. Keep aside.
- In the same sauce pan add 2 tablespoon butter, when it melts add the flour and stir until the raw smell of flour disappears, may take two minutes on medium heat.
- Pour the milk and continue stirring, when the sauce is thick add both cheese, green onion and bell pepper mixture, mustard, and stir.
- Season with salt and black pepper and stir some more on medium heat.
- In the baking pan, add the macaroni and egg, mix well, then pour the sauce on top and mix using a spoon.
- Bake in a preheated oven 350F/180C for 20 – 25 minutes.