Sometimes you find joy in the simplest things, like this Vanilla Cake! As a foodie, I like developing new recipes, try new dishes, and the more complicated and challenging the recipe is, the more fun I have in making it.
However, there are days when I don't want to pass by the kitchen. I just want to enjoy my coffee, go for a walk, and watch a movie. Like many, I do enjoy a lazy day.
My problem is called (sweet tooth) and I've been experiencing the same since childhood.
So what shall I do if I'm feeling lazy but need to have something sweet? I go for a quick recipe where I mix everything together and be done within the shortest time possible.
I give you a very simple teacake, a Light Vanilla Cake. Don't be fooled by how simple this cake looks, it's divine, moist, light, and so easy to make. But to enjoy its taste, you have to use a good quality vanilla extract or paste.
Serves 9. 177 calories per slice.
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
Pinch of salt
¼ cup granulated sugar
½ cup sweetened condensed milk
5 tablespoon plain low fat yogurt
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (use high quality one)
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Line your baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and salt. Keep aside.
- In a different bowl, add the sugar, vanilla, and egg. Beat until well combined.
- Add oil, yogurt, and condensed milk, beat well. Add flour and mix gently. Do not over mix or the cake will be tough.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes (depending on your oven) or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
Note: The icing sugar and strawberry shown in the pictures are not included in the calorie count.