Another Persian delight. This dish can be served with steamed rice or any type of bread. Aubergine could be one vegetable with minimal health benefit, yet it is one of my favorite vegetables, since when deep-fried, it becomes sweet with creamy texture.
If you took out the beef, this dish will turn into a rich and healthy vegan/vegetarian meal.
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 1/2 cup split red lentils – soaked in water for 10 minutes
- 1 lbs beef cut in bite size cubes
- Salt to taste
- 2 1/2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads or powder
- 9 cups hot water
- 4 cups aubergine peeled and cut in medium size cubes
- Oil to deep fry the aubergine
- 3 tablespoon oil to cook the stew
- Fry the onion in three tablespoons of oil, when translucent add the beef.
- Fry until the beef get light brown patches, may take 10 – 15 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the split lentils and stir for one minute.
- Add the boiling water and let it cook for 1 hour on medium heat.
- In different pan, deep fry the aubergine until light brown. Drain from oil and keep aside.
- After letting the beef cook for an hour, add the fried aubergine and rest of ingredients. Cook for 10 minutes.
- You're done.