This dish used to take up to 13 to 24 hours to cook, but don’t worry I won’t let you spend that much time in the kitchen, and if you don’t have a pressure cooker no problem this recipe will teach you how to make Dal Makhni without a pressure cooker too.
*Method includes soaking lentils overnight.
Serves 3. 306 calories per serving.
1/2 cup whole urad dal (Vigna mungo), soaked overnight
1/2 cup red kidney beans (I used canned)
2 tablespoon butter
3 garlic cloves minced
1/2 teaspoon ginger paste
1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 onion finely chopped
1/2 cup tomato puree (seed and skin removed before pureeing)
3 tablespoon cream
3 cups water
* For the tomato, I removed the seeds of two medium size tomatoes, chopped them and placed them in a strainer. I placed a pan under the strainer, then pushed the tomatoes through the strainer using the back of a spoon. If you have a blender, then remove the seeds and the skin and puree the tomatoes, and use half a cup from it.
– Wash, and then soak the urad dal in three cups of warm water overnight. Drain.
– In a pan add three cups of water, when it come to a boil add salt and urad dal. Let it boil for 30 to 40 minutes or until soft.
– In a different pan, add the butter and cumin seeds, stir for few seconds on medium heat, then add the onion.
– Stir the onion until brown, add the ginger and garlic, stir for one minute on medium heat.
– Add the tomato puree and stir until you get a thick mixture and the butter separates.
– Add the urad dal and stir for one minute, add the rest of spices and stir for a minute.
– Pour the water and let it cook on medium heat for 3 minutes. Add the red beans and cream, let it cook for another 3 minutes.
– Serve hot with rice or Indian bread.