Dal Makhni is an Indian (Punjabi) Dish, it's popular and found in every Indian restaurant in the world. This delightful treat tastes so good, you'd want to have it again and again.
This dish used to take up to 13 to 24 hours to cook, but don't worry I won't let you spend that much time in the kitchen, and if you don't have a pressure cooker no problem this recipe will teach you how to make Dal Makhni without a pressure cooker too.
I like my dal makhni thick but you can make it thinner by adding more water, and you can decide on that when the dal is cooked.
*Dal Makhni tastes even better the next day 🙂
*Method includes soaking lentils overnight.
Serves 3. 306 calories per serving.
½ cup whole urad dal (Vigna mungo), soaked overnight
½ cup red kidney beans (I used canned)
2 tablespoon butter
3 garlic cloves minced
½ teaspoon ginger paste
¼ teaspoon red chili powder
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 onion finely chopped
½ cup tomato puree (seed and skin removed before pureeing)
3 tablespoon cream
3 cups water
* For the tomato, I removed the seeds of two medium size tomatoes, chopped them and placed them in a strainer. I placed a pan under the strainer, then pushed the tomatoes through the strainer using the back of a spoon. If you have a blender, then remove the seeds and the skin and puree the tomatoes, and use half a cup from it.
- Wash, and then soak the urad dal in three cups of warm water overnight. Drain.
- In a pan add three cups of water, when it come to a boil add salt and urad dal. Let it boil for 30 to 40 minutes or until soft.
- In a different pan, add the butter and cumin seeds, stir for few seconds on medium heat, then add the onion.
- Stir the onion until brown, add the ginger and garlic, stir for one minute on medium heat.
- Add the tomato puree and stir until you get a thick mixture and the butter separates.
- Add the urad dal and stir for one minute, add the rest of spices and stir for a minute.
- Pour the water and let it cook on medium heat for 3 minutes. Add the red beans and cream, let it cook for another 3 minutes.
- Serve hot with rice or Indian bread.