Usually I would cover the top of the pie with another sheet of crust, but thought using strips from the crust will make the pie look good when taking pictures, also you’ll have an idea of what’s inside.
I feel when baking a pie, you are more in control of the portions, each one take an equal share, I’d like to think that this is what happens in my house.
I don’t know the background of this dish nor where it came from, I only know where it goes after it’s baked. But in case, you read the ingredients and figured out what planet did this dish land from, please do let me know.
You might have noticed, that this post sounds different than most of my previous posts, I blame it on lack of coffee and sleep. Anyways, here it comes!
- 5 Tablespoons ice-cold water
- 1/2 Cup cold butter
- 1 1/2 Cups all purpose flour
- Pinch of sugar + Pinch of salt
- Mix the flour, sugar, and salt.
- Add the cold butter to the flour, rub the flour and butter together with your hands or a fork. The mixture should look like breadcrumbs.
- Make a hole in the middle of the flour, add the chilled water. Knead for less than one minute.
- Cover the dough with wet cloth and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Press the dough with your hands, then place it on a floured working surface.
- Always roll from the center to the edge until dough is 1/8 inch thick.
- Make sure that the dough can fit in your pan. I’ve used 10″ pan.
- Carefully fold the dough in half and then transfer it to the pie-pan. Placing it in the center, unfold the dough.
- Place the index finger of one hand on the edge of the dough, use your thumb and index finger of the other hand to crimp the dough. Repeat this process all around the edge.
- Poke the bottom of the crust with a fork few times.
- When done, place the crust in the fridge until you prepare the filling.
- 1 1/2 cup mixed vegetables (frozen will do)
- 300gm minced chicken.
- 1 cup chicken broth (or one cube chicken stock dissolved in one cup water)
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- Black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 medium onion chopped
- Olive oil
- 1 minced clove garlic
- In a hot pan add the olive oil, and the onions. Fry on medium heat for three minutes.
- Add the garlic and the chicken, stir for three more minutes.
- Add the vegetables and spices and stir for three minutes.
- Add the flour, stir for two minutes and then add the hot broth while stirring.
- The sauce will get thicker, you should end up with light creamy sauce.
- Pour the mixture on the crust, then add strips from the crust at the top of your pie.
- Brush the crust strips with beaten egg, bake for 20 – 25 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
- Serve hot.