There are many recipes for Authentic Chicken Biryani because almost every state in India has its own authentic recipe for chicken, mutton, fish, and veg biryani, oh and let’s not forget Egg Biryani. Today, I’m going to share a quick way to prepare chicken biryani and get the same mouthwatering flavor that you get in Indian Restaurants!
Perfect chicken biryani recipe
What can you expect from this recipe? A tender chicken that’s perfectly seasoned, a small amount of gravy that will blend with the rice and bring out great flavors, and you will get fluffy basmati rice cooked to perfection and perfumed with saffron.
There is no marination involved, so you save a lot of time, and the ingredients are available in every store!
Ghee or olive oil for better tasting chicken biryani
I have used Ghee and olive oil in making biryani, and to my surprise and although ghee is used in making all biryani recipes, I found that olive oil brings out different but delicious flavor as well. The key here is the onion. Ghee, butter, and olive oil, when used in frying onion, brings out great flavor.
If you are looking for a healthy option, go for the olive oil you will not regret it, I promise!
Can I turn this recipe into a veg-biryani?
Of course, and it is easy too, instead of the chicken use your choice of vegetables but choose the vegetables that don’t get mushy or change its shape. Use vegetables like potatoes, carrot, cauliflower, or even a mixture of a few of these vegetables.
To add more flavors to the veg biryani, shallow fry the vegetables first. Frying will add to the taste of the vegetables, and the biryani will not be blunt.
How long it takes to make chicken biryani?
Caramelizing the onion takes around 8 minutes, maybe a little less if the onion is cut into thin slices. The rice should take 15 minutes if soaked for 20 minutes. The chicken gravy takes 20 to 25 minutes depending on the size of the chicken cut and whether you are using cuts with or without bones.
You can cook the rice while making the gravy and save time, and if you are a multitasker and can keep an eye on three stove burners at the same time, then dinner will be ready in short time!
Which part of the chicken is used for making chicken biryani?
You can use a whole chicken that’s cut in four or six pieces, or the part you enjoy the most. If you are using chicken breast, make sure not to overcook it, or the chicken biryani will not taste as good. Chicken breast cooks quickly and can stay tender if the internal temperature reaches 165 Fahrenheit or 75 Celsius.
More chicken recipes you will love:
Authentic Chicken Biryani
FOR THE CHICKEN
- 4 skinless and boneless chicken thighs
- 3 tablespoon Ghee
- 3 tablespoon yogurt
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 whole green chili
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder you can use less
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon chopped mint leaves
FOR THE RICE
- 1 ½ cup uncooked basmati rice
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon anise seeds
- Salt to taste
- 2 whole cardamom
- 2- inch cinnamon stick
- 7 black peppercorns
- 3 cup hot water
FOR COLORING THE RICE
- ¼ cup hot water
- Pinch of saffron
- - Mix together and keep aside.
COOKING THE CHICKEN
- In a small pan, add the ghee and fry the onion until brown.
- In a different pan, add the chicken, spices, garlic, yogurt, green chili, and salt. Mix well and then cook on medium heat while covered, occasionally stirring until the ghee separates.
- Add ½ cup boiling water and cook until the chicken is done. Add the onion and stir for two minutes. (If you think the gravy is getting dry, add ¼ cup hot water to it.)
- When the chicken is cooked, add the chopped mint, stir for 1 minute then turn off the heat. (You should have around ⅓ cup of gravy or bit more.)
COOKING THE RICE
- Add water to a pan, when it comes to a boil add all the rice spices, stir for few seconds, then add the rice.
- When it comes to a boil again, reduce heat to the lowest, and cover tightly — Cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
ASSEMBLING THE CHICKEN BIRYANI
- Add half the rice to a pan, top it with the chicken gravy, then add the rest of the rice.
- Pour the previously prepared saffron mixture on the rice.
- (OptionaYou can cover the pan tightly, and let it cook on the lowest heat for five minutes, or serve the chicken biryani immediately.
This post was originally published in October 2014. I have updated the recipe and the post text in July 2019.