These puffs turned to a challenge for me. The first time I baked them they puffed so nicely but the moment I took them out of the oven they went dead flat. Usually when I flunk in making a dish I give myself a day or two and then try the same dish again, but I couldn’t believe how I can mess up a very simple recipe!! Now it smelled really good and tasted good too. I knew that the recipe was fine, so it must be something I’ve done, Yep I opened the oven twice THAT IS A BIG NO NO WHEN BAKING CHEESE PUFFS.
- Mix the flour with dry mint and keep aside.
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C.
- In a saucepan, add water, salt, and butter, when it starts to boil, add the flour and keep on stirring until it forms a dough, and not sticking to the pan.
- Add the cheese and keep stirring.
- Remove from heat and let it become warm.
- Gradually add the eggs one at a time while stirring.
- Use an ice-cream scoop or a spoon to scoop the dough on the baking sheet or pan.
- Brush the surface with a mixture of an egg beaten with three tablespoon of milk.
- Bake for 10 minutes then reduce heat to 350F/180C/Gas mark 4 and continue baking for another 20-25 minutes.
- Do not open the oven while baking or the puffs will become flat the moment you take them out of oven.
- Serve as is or fill with your favorite fillings.