There are few meatless dishes, which I like, and I try to make those dishes tastes good, so when I feel like eating right or when the craze of working out hits me, I can still have delicious food, and enjoy every bite of it, like Chana Dal!
Chana Dal keeps me full for long time and is a great source of protein too.
Serving 3. 391 calories per serving.
1 cup uncooked chana dal
6 cups water
5 whole cloves garlic
2-inch ginger root, cut into quarters
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoon oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 tomato, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 green chili, cut in half
1 cup hot water
– Wash lentils and soak in hot water for 45 minutes.
– To a pan, add water, lentils, garlic, and ginger. Let it boil until lentils are tender, may take 30 to 40 minutes.
– When the lentils are cooked, discard the ginger.
– In another pan, fry onion in oil and 1 Tablespoon butter until translucent.
– Add tomatoes to onion. Stir 3 minutes on medium high heat.
– Add garam masala, coriander, curry powder, cumin, and turmeric. Continue stirring.
– Add green chili. Stir for another 2 minutes.
– Pour lentils on top of onion and tomato mixture. Stir and mash the lentils with the back of the spoon. Add one cup of hot water.
– Let simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally. The longer it simmers, the more flavor it develops, will take 3 minutes.
– Add 1 tablespoon butter just before serving. Serve hot with plain rice or bread.