Today’s post is about a brownie recipe that happens to be low in calories! One of the ingredients used in making this brownie might sound strange and out of place, but it is key to make these brownies low in calories without taking away the chocolaty flavor.
How to make a brownie recipe that’s low in calories?
I have used less amount of fat by adding two tablespoons of oil which you can replace with melted butter for richer flavor. There are no chocolate chips in here (although you can add some in the batter but then don’t count the calories 😊 ). I have also used one cup of chopped apple! I know you must have paused there, yes apple is used to provide a brownie texture instead of adding more eggs or butter.
In a blender, add the eggs, sugar, vanilla, oil or butter, and the chopped apple. Blend until smooth. In a different bowl, sift the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the wet ingredients over the dry and mix gently, you brownie batter is ready.
Pour the mixture in a previously greased pan; I like to line the baking pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper to avoid the brownies from sticking. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with few crumbs.
In case you overbaked the brownie, you will end up having a chocolate cake, not that it’s a bad thing, but if you are looking for fudge-like texture, you better pull this puppy at the right time!
Easy Homemade Brownies Made From Scratch.
From what you have read above, you can see how easy it is to make this brownie recipe at home and with ease. But there are a few things that you have to keep in mind to make this brownie.
It’s better to use unsweetened cocoa powder that’s good in quality.
Do not use bittersweet cocoa powder it will make the brownie batter in taste since we depend on cocoa powder only to get the chocolate flavor.
Use a sweet apple and better not to use granny smith apples they are harder in texture and a little sour.
If you are using salted butter, then omit the salt from the recipe.
Do not overbake the brownie. Every oven is different and if you are baking this brownie recipe for the first time, make sure to keep an eye on it.
How to serve low-calorie brownies?
You can top the brownie with low-calorie ice cream, or frost it with chocolate frosting. You can use the batter to make Slutty Brownies, and of course, you can make brownie popsicles.
Brownie Low in calorie
- 1 cup chopped apples (go for sweet apples)
- 9 tablespoons brown sugar or white
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil or melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Line your 8″x 8″ baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a blender add the eggs, sugar, oil or butter, vanilla, and apples. Blend until smooth.
- In a bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the flour and cocoa mixture, stir gently until just combined.
- Pour the brownie batter into the baking pan and bake for 12 to 14 minutes.
- The brownies are ready when you insert a toothpick in the middle and comes out with few crumbs.
- Try to remove the brownie from the pan immediately since it will continue cooking if stayed in the hot pan.
This post was Originally posted in 2013, it’s republished with new photos and texts, but there is no change in the recipe.
This page may contain affiliate links, which pay me a small commission
For my referral at no extra cost to you.
Thanks for supporting Munatycooking.com