Brownie Cupcakes are fudgy, delicious, a little on the chewy side, and absolute perfection! If you love brownies, you will devour these cupcakes and enjoy every single bite. I made two batches in a row for my family. It’s like having individual portions of rich brownies.
In this post, learn all the tips to create the perfect delightful brownies, and don’t forget to watch the video tutorial!
What are brownie cupcakes?
I first read about brownie cupcakes in 2012 on Natasha’s blog. I saw the recipe, and I couldn’t wait to try it, the cupcakes were so good I have decided to share the recipe with you here.
Brownie cupcakes are a smaller version of a fudgy and chewy brownie. These cupcakes are different than your usual cupcakes. They need less time to bake (more about baking time below). You can frost them with butter cream, peanut butter, or chocolate frosting, or while warm you can serve them with a scoop of ice cream!
Ingredients to make brownie cupcakes
Unsalted butter, you can use salted butter, but omit the salt from the ingredients when you do.
Sugar. You can use fine white sugar or for deeper flavor and chewier texture, use brown sugar.
Unsweetened cocoa powder. Choose high-quality baking cocoa powder; if you like dark bitter chocolate, you can use it in this recipe. Do not use hot chocolate mix; it will not give the same flavor or texture.
Eggs. Use medium or even large eggs for this recipe. The eggs' size will not affect the texture but will affect the baking time; you may have to bake the brownie cupcakes a little longer, like a minute longer or so when using large eggs.
Baking powder. We need it because the batter is thick, and the baking powder will help the brownies to rise.
Salt. Omit it if using salted butter.
How to make brownie cupcakes?
- Preheat the oven. Most ovens take between 15 to 20 minutes to reach the desired temperature. However, if you know that your oven gets too hot during baking or the temperature in your oven is not evenly distributed, instead of preheating it to 180C/350F, go for 162C/325F.
- Whisk the melted butter with sugar; this will help the sugar dissolves quickly.
- Add the vanilla and an egg to the previous mixture and whisk until combined, then add the second egg and whisk to combine. Do not overbeat the eggs; we do not want to incorporate air into the batter.
- Sift the remaining dry ingredients and then add them to the wet mixture. Try to mix the ingredients for a few seconds only; overmixing will result in tough brownies.
- Fill ⅔ of the cupcake liners with the batter and bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the brownie cupcakes come out with few wet crumbs.
- Immediately remove the cupcakes from the baking pan and place them on the cooling rack to cool completely.
How to prevent brownies from drying?
I have to admit that baking these little brownie cupcakes is a bit tricky! The recipe is perfect; it’s the oven temperature that plays a massive part in making this recipe a hit. Some of my audience baked the brownies for 15 minutes, and the brownies came out great; others had to bake them for 20 minutes. Some baked them for 18 minutes, and the brownies came out dry and bitter.
As you can see, the oven temperature plays a significant role here, but to prevent the brownies from drying out please follow the tips below!
- Preheat the oven to 162C/325F. If you are making this recipe for the first time and being on the safe side, it’s better to use an oven thermometer.
- Bake the brownies on the middle shelf.
- Check the brownies after 11 minutes from baking.
- In general, cakes and brownies keep cooking for 3 to 5 minutes after taking them out of the oven, so if you checked the brownies and thought that it needs 3 more minutes to bake, pull the brownies out of the oven.
Other useful tips
- Use high-quality unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Use room temperature eggs. Cold eggs will make the batter cold, and the cold batter will take a longer time to bake in the oven.
- Avoid overbeating the eggs; we do not want to incorporate air in the batter. Beating the eggs for long will make the cupcakes more cakey than fudgy in texture.
- Always use cupcake liners; it is difficult to take out fudgy, chewy brownie cupcakes from a cupcake pan without the liners; the brownies will stick to the pan.
- You can add chopped nuts to the brownies batter.
- These brownie cupcakes are amazing without any frostings, but if you want to frost them, check out these two posts Egg Free Chocolate Cake and Chocolate Swiss Roll.
How to store brownie cupcakes?
Now that you made awesome brownie cupcakes, you want to store some to enjoy a little later, and there are three ways to store brownies.
At room temperature: Place the brownies in an airtight container. Place a wax paper at the bottom of the container and then arrange the brownies on top. If you have made more than one batch, then cover the already placed brownies with another wax paper and place a layer of brownies on top of it. The brownies will stay fresh for up to 4 days on the countertop. If your kitchen is hot, refrigerate.
Refrigerating brownies: Wrap each brownie tightly with a plastic wrap, place the wrapped brownies in a Ziplock bag or plastic container, and place in the fridge for up to one week. If you want to store the brownies for longer, then freeze them.
Freezing the brownies: You will have to wrap the brownies individually twice, wrap them tightly with a plastic wrap and then with aluminum foil. Place them in a Ziplock bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Do not freeze frosted brownies!
To thaw a frozen brownie, remove the foil and keep it wrapped with the plastic wrap while in the Ziplock bag, let it thaw in the fridge overnight or for a few hours. You can also place the frozen brownies on the countertop for 3 hours to thaw. Microwave it for few seconds before serving.
More Chocolate Recipes:
Brownie Cupcakes Recipe
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 medium eggs
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 180C - 375F.
- Whisk butter and sugar.
- Whisk in the vanilla and the eggs, one at a time, until well combined.
- Sift flour, salt, cocoa, and baking powder. Add to the previous mixture. Stir to combine. Do not over mix.
- Fill the cupcake liners ⅔ full and bake until a skewer inserted comes out with few crumbs. I made 7 cupcakes, I've used medium size cupcake liners, if using the regular size, you might make around 12. Bake for 12 – 15 minutes.
- Overbaking the brownies will make them dry and bitter. The moment a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cupcake comes out with few wet crumbs, remove the brownies from the oven.
- Do not overbeat the brownie batter, or it will turn tough after baking.
- You can make mini cupcakes with the same batter and serve at parties; kids will love it! Baking time will be shorter.
- Do not overbeat the eggs, or the brownie will turn cakey in texture instead of fudgy.
- This post was originally posted in 2012. The post is updated with a video and more text.
How I would love to have a bite... gorgeous brownies
Thanks Vimitha, they are heavenly indeed.
They look really delicious!
These look so great! Love your photos and am so glad to hear you enjoyed them 🙂 thanks for trying out something from my blog, and for the links!
You're most welcome dear, a good recipe like this one is worth to be spread and tried by many to enjoy 🙂
These brownie muffins are irresistible, Muna.
Thanks Angie, they are exactly that and more 🙂
I can clearly understand why you weren't able to resist making these brownie cupcakes, Muna! They look so good and totally tempting!
LOL! I love chocolate not to mention brownies, these are heavenly and a must try!
the photo is so beautiful. Well done!
Thanks a lot 🙂
Nami | Just One Cookbook
While I was away from blog hopping, it seems like a lot of people were making chocolate dessert recipes. I was overdosing my chocolate intake too due to from stress (lol) but I was just biting store bought chocolate bars. I wished I had these cupcakes!! 😀
Chocolate is my friend when stressed and Ice cream. I go for hot chocolate, it makes relax faster. As for these cupcakes, I can never thank Natasha enough for sharing this recipe. I'm sure your kids will love it!
Cooking on a Dime
Those look like the perfect sized treat at my house. Yum!
You'll go yum yum after they are baked believe me 🙂
The Café Sucré Farine
YUM! I can see why these got you running! They look wonderful, so moist and rich!
They are, it's a combination of brownies and moist chocolate cake, it's chocolate lovers heaven 🙂
Sandra's Easy Cooking
Muna, those cupcakes look so delicious...please hand me a napkin because those are mouthwatering! Great recipe and wonderful pics! Have a lovely day!
Thanks Sandra, your kind words means a lot to me. These brownies are heavenly no doubt 🙂
Too temtping, Muna..Just too tempting! 🙂
Made these brownies today . Kids n hubby fell in love with them right away! Made two batches..... Gonna share with a friend . Thanks a lot for the recipe!?
Hey Renu, Thanks a lot for your feedback, I'm so glad your family loved it 🙂
It looks gorgeous Muna. Looks so moist from inside. I love chocolate.. 2 of my favorite in one.
Thank you Rahul, Chocolate is a magical healing ingredient to many including me 🙂