I’m not sure if this dish is from Lebanon or Syria, so let’s just say it’s an Arabian delight. Okra is a vegetable which some people feel uncomfortable having, for it’s texture after it’s cooked. If you are one of them, then you can use potato, white beans, and black eyed beans, in fact I’ve seen it made with green peas too.
Beef with Baby Okra Stew
- 1 lbs beef cut in small cubes
- 1 chicken bouillon
- 7 Black pepper corns
- 4 whole cardamoms
- 1 medium onion cut in quarters
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes diced
- 2 cups baby okra – I've used frozen
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Rice with Vermicelli
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup vermicelli
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 4 cups boiling water
- Salt to taste
Making The Stew
- In a medium pan, add the beef, one onion cut in quarters, cardamom, black pepper corns. Pour enough water to cover the beef. Let it boil on medium heat for 50 minutes.
- Keep beef aside and discard the water and spices boiled with the beef.
- In a pan add the oil, when hot add chopped onions sauté until translucent.
- Add the beef to onion and cook until light brown.
- Add the garlic, tomato puree, tomato paste, chicken bouillon. Stir for three minutes.
- Add the baby okra. Pour enough water to cover the beef and let it cook on medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally so you won't break the okra.
- Add lemon juice stir for one minute and serve with rice.
Making Rice with Vermicelli
- In a medium pan, add butter and vermicelli, sauté until light brown.
- Add the rice and sauté for 1 minute.
- Pour 4 cups boiling water and salt to the rice and vermicelli.
- When it comes to a boil cover, and let it cook on lowest heat for 20 minutes.
- Serve while hot.