In the month of Ramadan I get more creative (like most women) especially while I’m fasting, and believe me when you fast and you are a foodie, the number of ideas you get for snacks and desserts is astonishing. Banana Zebra Bread is a combination of two goodies, banana bread, and chocolate cake.
The Making of Banana Zebra Bread loaf
After Iftaar, the best drink is black coffee with dessert on the side (at least for me). This Banana Zebra Bread loaf is everything you ever wanted in a banana bread, it’s moist, delicious, smells amazing, and a great companion to that big mug filled with coffee.
I wonder how it will taste if I made it a banana chocolate loaf cake, I’m sure it will taste out of this world, I guess I have to work on that project soon but for now, I am very pleased with what I just baked.
Note: I added 1/4 cup shredded coconut in the banana bread batter (which you can see in the pictures.) some were not fond of the texture, so if you love coconut go ahead and add it.
As for my recipe, here you go!
- 6 tablespoon oil
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 ½ tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Line a baking pan 9 x 5 x 3 inch with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Keep aside.
- In a different bowl add the rest of ingredients (except cocoa powder) and whisk until well combined.
- Add the flour and mix gently.
- Transfer ¾ of the batter to another bowl and sift in the cocoa powder. Whisk until well combined but do not overmix.
- Take ¼ cup from the plain batter and pour in the middle of the previously prepared pan.
- Pour ¼ cup from the cocoa batter in the center of the plain batter that’s in the pan.
- Pour ¼ cup from the plain batter in the center of the cocoa batter you’ve just poured in the pan, keep repeating this step alternating between batters.
- Place the pan on the middle rack and bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Keep the cake in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.