I’m going to tell you something, and you might think I’m mean. I didn’t work hard to make this dessert low in calories, the number one reason, it really tastes good with the amount of butter used, using less butter won’t give the result I’m looking for. The second reason (here comes the mean part) I don’t want my friends to eat all of it, I want them to leave some for me to munch on later 😉
Serves 8. 269 calories per serving
For the dough:
1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes (must be chilled)
3 tablespoons ice water
For the filling:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon cornstarch
3 medium apples, cored, peeled, and cut into slices
For brushing the Galette:
1 egg yolk beaten with 3 tablespoon water
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar mixed with 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
Making the dough:
– In a bowl, add flour, salt, sugar whisk well. Add butter and using a fork or your finger tips combine with flour until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Add water and gather to form dough, do not knead. (If you have a food processor, then add all ingredients together and pulse.)
– Shape dough into a disk, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 45 minutes to an hour. (You can make this dough at night and use next day if you wish.)
Making the filling:
– In a saucepan, add all the ingredients of the filling except the apples. Stir on medium heat until you get a sauce like texture. Add the apples and cook for 4 minutes while stirring. Keep aside to cool.
Making the Galette:
– Since the dough is very delicate, cut enough parchment paper to cover your baking tray. Place it on your working surface and dust with flour.
– Place the dough on the parchment paper and roll out to 12-13 inches wide. If the dough is hard, then keep it out for 3 minutes and then roll.
– Place the parchment paper with the dough in your baking tray. Keep in the freezer for 3 minutes or in fridge for 6 minutes.
– Preheat oven to 190C/375F.
– Remove dough from freezer or fridge, pile the apples in the center of the dough, 2.5 inches away from the edges.
– Fold the dough edges, up and to the center do this clockwise.
– Brush the edges with egg mixture, and then sprinkle sugar mixture on top.
– Bake the Galette for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.