I was introduced to foreign desserts by my best friend’s mom. She is British and an excellent baker. I got hooked on everything English/British and specially the cake.
How I love the sophistication of the English tea ritual and of course all the delicious delights that comes with it.
To be honest, I don’t need tea to have cake, I don’t even need frosting
If you read my post about Granola Biscuits, you’ll know why I decided to go on another adventure with this granola.
For this recipe I have used Golden Girl Granola (Chocolate Decadence). I can’t find words to describe its yumminess.
As for the cake, yes you can make it without the granola but you’ll be missing a lot, and I mean a lot!
When you bake this cake, don’t forget to do two things. One, let me know how you liked it, two, please share the recipe with your family and friends they will thank you for it. This cake tastes even better the next day.
Afternoon Tea Cake
Serves 10 – 12. 208 calories per serving (if serving 10)
1 cup all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ cup unsalted butter at room temperature
½ cup sugar
2 eggs at room temperature
½ teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons milk
½ cup chocolate decadence granola
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180C.
- Grease and flour 8x8 baking pan, or line it with parchment paper.
- Whisk flour with salt and baking powder, set aside.
- In a bowl, beat butter with sugar until lighter in color and well combined.
- Add in the first egg. Beat well after each addition of egg until creamy.
- Add in vanilla and mix well.
- Fold in the flour into the mixture and mix well.
- Add the milk and mix gently.
- Take ⅓ of the batter and mix with granola.
- Spoon a dollop from the batter beside a dollop from the granola batter, creating kind of check board.
- Use a butter knife and make three figure 8s. This will distribute the granola in a nice way.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the middle of the cake. Over baking this cake will make it dry, it’ll still taste good though.
- Cool on cooling rack.
Since it has GRANOLA in it, I am sure it would fit for a breakfast too. Looks scrumptious!
Simple and nice cake! I would enjoy such cake for breakfast 😀
Even if without the tea, I would definitely want to have a slice of this cake!
I love this cake too, so simple to make yet delicious 🙂