Chicken and Rice Casserole – I look at this dish as a romantic treat, it looks good, do not require hours in the kitchen, and the cleaning up is no problem. It gives you time to maybe prepare a side dish or even a light dessert.
If you ever wanted to try a one dish chicken and rice, please go ahead and give this recipe a try. In this recipe, I have used chicken thighs cut into cubes, but you can use chicken breast too and bake at the same time.
There are many chicken recipes out there calling for chicken parts with bones, I like to play safe and cut the chicken into cubes to make sure it is cooked thoroughly.
Keep This In Mind When Making Chicken and Rice Casserole
There is a tricky part of cooking this dish though, actually, there are two! The type of rice you use and the type of oven you’ll bake the casserole in. Long grain basmati rice is great for making baked chicken and rice.
Other types are full of starch and the result will be mushy rice. If your oven has a fan, you should reduce the time of baking and the temperature too.
To make this casserole dish in an oven with a fan, the oven temperature should be 350F/180C throughout the baking time, and the cooking time may reduce by 15 minutes.
Oven with fan cook food faster. Now, this is just an estimate because my oven doesn’t have a fan.
How To Bake Chicken and Rice
You need to wash and soak the rice to reduce the amount of the starch rice releases while baking. I have used Basmati rice, I think basmati rice is great for baking.
You might feel nervous when making oven baked chicken and rice for the first time, and that’s normal. When I cooked this recipe the first time, I was so scared that my rice will turn mushy or the chicken will have some raw spots.
When following my recipe and when the time of baking is up, take a piece of chicken and check if a knife can go through it smoothly if so it is done. Do not serve immediately, give it 20 minutes to form a good texture.
Dinner made easy! This oven baked chicken and rice recipe is full of flavor and so easy to put together. Learn how to make perfect and delicious baked chicken and rice casserole.
- 3 chicken thighs skinless, boneless, and cut into cubes
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder optional
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 cup long grain rice washed and soaked for 15 minutes I used basmati
- 1 cup hot chicken broth I dissolved 1 chicken bouillon in 1 cup water
- 1 cup hot or boiling water
- ¾ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 ½ tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 6 mushrooms cut in quarter
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C. For this recipe, I have used 11”x6.5” deep baking dish.
- In the baking dish, add the butter, olive oil, onion, garlic, and mushroom. Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes. Do check in between to make sure the vegetables didn’t burn.
- Season the chicken with chicken seasoning mentioned in the ingredients.
- Mix the chicken broth with water.
- Take out the baking dish from the oven and add, the rice, Italian seasoning, and salt. Mix well then spread evenly.
- Place the chicken on top of the rice. Pour the chicken broth mixed with water in the corner of the baking dish. Shake the pan gently to make sure the liquid has distributed evenly.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes. Increase the oven temperature to 375F/190C. uncover the baking dish and bake for 15 minutes.
- Cover the dish again and let it sit outside the oven for at least 15 to 20 minutes.
This page may contain affiliate links, which pay me a small commission
For my referral at no extra cost to you.
Thanks for supporting Munatycooking.com