When it comes to cakes we all have our own favorite flavor, yet there is one cake that we all love and cherish, it’s an old and popular recipe, so popular that you can find it in almost every country. Authentic pound cake is what I’m sharing today.
The authentic pound cake recipe calls for a pound from each ingredient. A pound of eggs, a pound of sugar, and so on. In reality, you don’t have to use a pound of each ingredient, all you have to do is keep the weight exactly the same for all the ingredients.
The result is a dense, rich, and buttery cake a cake that will taste even better the next day. Don’t use cup measurement to make pound cake, well, not if you are making the authentic version!
Making Authentic Pound Cake.
There is no baking powder in this recipe, you have to follow the steps religiously to get a well-risen cake. The key is to beat the eggs for a long time until it doubles in volume, since the air created while beating the eggs, will help this authentic pound cake to rise.
If you want a low-calorie version for a pound cake, I have one here.
- 230 gm butter at room temperature
- 230 gm sugar
- 230 gm all-purpose flour
- 230 gm eggs at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Butter and flour a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan, keep aside.
- In a bowl, add the butter and beat until smooth for 1 minute.
- Add the sugar and beat until creamy and fluffy, might take 4 minutes to 5.
- In a different bowl, beat the eggs with vanilla until it doubles in volume and became creamy in texture.
- Gradually add the beaten eggs to the previously prepared butter-sugar mixture, beat until combined.
- Slowly add the flour and either fold gently, or reduce the mixer’s speed to the lowest. Do not over mix at this point.
- Pour the mixture into the previously prepared loaf pan and bake for 65 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.