Making Freekeh Chowder! If you have read my posts Freekeh with Chicken and Freekeh with fish, you’ll know how much I and my family enjoy this whole grain and it is full of nutrient. I love my carbs, and although I try to cook healthy food, I’m not fond of vegetables, so you guessed it right, my carbs come mainly from pasta, noodles, and rice!
When I asked myself what is it that makes me crave that type of carbs, I found that it’s the chewing part. You can’t chew much on vegetables and fruits hence you don’t feel full or at least I don’t feel full.
Making Freekeh Chowder
I do have rice and pasta in moderation, and in fact, I rarely crave them now. Freekeh is the best alternative, it gives you the chewiness you seek in pasta and noodles and it can easily replace rice in many dishes.
Today I made Freekeh Chowder, it’s creamy and has vegetables, also low in carbs and one serving can keep you full for hours. This Chowder can replace a whole meal.
There is one thing you have to keep in mind when buying Freekeh. There are two types, uncracked and cracked Freekeh. The uncracked like the one I used in this recipe will take up to 50 minutes to cook, but the cracked will take max 20 minutes.
Let’s make some Freekeh Chowder.
- 1/4 cup freekeh
- 1/3 cup chopped red pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped carrot
- 3/4 cup chopped potato
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 1/3 cup canned corn
- 1 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 chicken bouillon low sodium
- Black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- In a blender, blend three tablespoons corn with 1/4 cup milk until smooth, keep aside.
- In a pan, add olive oil and when hot, add the red pepper, onion, celery, carrot, and potato.
- Sauté vegetables until onion is translucent. Add flour and mix well.
- Add the freekeh and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the boiling water and chicken bouillon.
- When the soup comes to a boil, add the corn milk mixture.
- Let it cook on medium low heat for 45 -50 minutes. (I've used whole grain freekeh, but you can use cracked freekeh and it will take 15 -25 minutes to cook).
- Add the corn and a cup of milk to the soup. Season with black pepper and let it cook for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Follow me on Instagram.