Hey guys! Are you ready to try some coconut milk rice? My recipes are always simple to make and I love to give you options to makes your life easy. Today, I’ll show you how to make coconut milk rice and although it’s a little sweet yet goes well with savory dishes. You can cook this rice on a stove top or in a pressure cooker.
Making Coconut Milk Rice.
In Thailand, they use jasmine rice to prepare Coconut Milk Rice and it tastes super amazing, but I am using Basmati rice in this recipe because today’s recipe is from India and it’s a little different in preparation than the Thai version. In India basmati rice and sometimes short grain rice is cooked in coconut milk.
A long time ago I shared a recipe on how to cook rice in coconut water, that was a delicious delight too, but the recipe I’m sharing with you now has more intense flavor since the coconut milk made from a grated meat of a mature coconut, has a thicker texture, and more fat.
I really think that coconut milk rice can be a good base for a rice pudding, maybe I should make coconut rice pudding soon!! I will experiment and will let you know, but something tells me it is going to be a hit.
In this post, you get to learn how to cook coconut milk rice on the stove top and in a pressure cooker. I like the pressure cooker method, it takes much less time and you know for sure that the rice is all fluffy and perfectly cooked. However, using the stove top method correctly will result in a delicious rice too but will take a longer time.
Let’s get this party started!
- 1 cup basmati rice (washed and soaked for 15 to 20 minutes)
- 1 leveled teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup water (if using stove top method, add another ½ cup of water)
- ½ cup coconut milk (not coconut water)
- STOVE TOP METHOD:
- In a pan, add all the ingredients except the rice. Let it come to a boil.
- Add the rice and wait for it to come to a boil again. Reduce heat to the lowest and cover tightly.
- After 16 minutes, uncover and gently mix the rice from the sides. Cover and cook for another 12 to 14 minutes. Turn off heat and let the rice cool a little while still covered. Using a fork, fluff the rice gently.
- PRESSURE COOKER METHOD:
- You don’t have to soak the rice if using a pressure cooker, just wash it and drain it.
- In a pressure cooker, add all the ingredients, close the lid and cook on high until you hear a whistle. After hearing the ONE whistle, reduce heat to low and let it cook for 30 seconds then turn off the heat. Allow the pressure to be released naturally, this will cook the rice evenly.
Did you like this coconut milk rice? Follow me on Pinterest for more.