People love falafel because it has a unique flavor and a crunchy texture. Fiery falafel is a vegan snack, although most people frown upon vegan dishes, they accept falafel with a big smile, let me tell you a little about these mouthwatering fiery falafels.
Fiery Falafel a Vegan Snack.
Falafel is mostly made by either chickpea, fava beans, or a combination of both. My favorite is one made with chickpeas only. I think falafel made with chickpeas are crunchier, but that’s just me.
The process of making fiery falafel starts 12 to 13 hours before the actual cooking. Don’t panic! You are not going to spend those hours cooking or preparing but all you have to do is to wash the chickpeas and soak it in hot water for 12 hours, you can do this before going to bed.
The processing time takes 5 minutes, and the cooking time takes 5 minutes, in reality, 10 or 15 minutes are all you need to make this outstanding vegan snack.
Usually, falafel is not a spicy snack, but I thought of adding some chili flakes just to experiment with it, you can discard the chili flakes of course but why not add it for a change?!
One last thing, when the falafel cools it becomes soft, but the delicious taste will always be present. To get the crunchy texture back, you have to shallow fry the falafel for a minute. If you are not crazy about the crunchy texture, then warm some in the microwave or oven.
Making Fiery Falafel In Few Steps.
- 1 cup chickpeas (uncooked)
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup parsley
- 1¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Enough oil to deep fry
- Wash the chickpeas and soak in hot water for 12 to 13 hours, keep it covered. It will double in size.
- After 12 hours, rinse the chickpeas and add it to a blender or food processor. Do not over process the chickpeas. You should have breadcrumbs like the texture and not a paste.
- Remove processed chickpeas from the food processor and keep aside.
- Add onion, garlic, parsley, and three tablespoon form the processed chickpeas to the food processor and process until smooth.
- Add to the previously prepared chickpeas. Add all the spices and salt (Except the sesame seeds) and mix until combined. Do not over mix or the falafel won’t puff when frying.
- Make 15 equal size balls and flatten the balls a little using your fingers. Sprinkle the sesame seeds on the balls, flip the balls and sprinkle the other side.
- Heat the oil in frying pan, when hot, add the balls and fry on medium high for a minute then reduce the heat to medium and fry for 4 minutes.
- Place the cooked falafel on paper towel.
- Serve hot to enjoy the crunch.
Follow me on Pinterest and Instagram.