Baghrir – Moroccan Pancake

baghrirThousand wholes pancake or Baghrir, a Moroccan pancake. It’s amazing that pancakes seems to be in almost every country with slight difference in ingredients.

baghrir 1These pancakes are nothing like the American pancakes we know. Their texture is not cake like, and unlike pancakes, you cannot stack them or they will stick together specially if still warm.

baghrir 3 There are two versions of Baghrir, and I’m sharing both versions in this post. The first version has no eggs and no milk, the second has both.

baghrir 4It is easy to make these pancakes but to be honest, I like the version with milk and eggs. You cook both the same way and serve them the same way. The taste is a bit different, the milk and egg Baghrir has more flavor and tastes bit like the American pancake but with different texture.

I suggest that you make half the recipe and see which version you like.

Baghrir (without milk and egg)

Makes 12. 146 calories per baghrir with syrup. 100 calories without syrup.

1 1/2 cups fine semolina

10 tablespoons all purpose flour

1 teaspoon sugar

Pinch of salt

2 teaspoon baking powder

3/4 tablespoon dry yeast

3 cups warm water

Baghrir (with milk and egg)

Makes 12. 146 calories per baghrir with syrup. 122 without syrup.

3/4 cups fine semolina

5 tablespoons all purpose flour

1 teaspoon sugar

Pinch of salt

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 1/4 teaspoon dry yeast

1 1/4 cups warm milk

1 egg

For the Syrup:

6 tablespoon honey

2 tablespoon butter

1/4 cup water

Making the syrup:

- In a saucepan, add butter and honey, and mix well on medium low heat. Add the water and increase the heat. When it boils turn of heat.

Making the Baghrir, the method is for both versions:

- In a blender, add all the ingredients and blend until smooth.

- Pour mixture in a big bowl, cover and let it rest in warm place for 30 minutes.

- Heat a non stick pan, then pour around half a ladle or 1/4 cup from the batter in the middle of the pan.

- Let it cook on medium heat, until the surface is dry and full of wholes.

- Remove from pan and keep aside. Do not stack while warm like regular pancakes since it will stick together, wait until the Baghrir cools.

Cooksnaps

12 Comments on Baghrir – Moroccan Pancake

• munatycooking
      15/07/2014 at 9:16 am (4 months ago)

Thanks Angie, they are great with any type of syrup but I like the combination of honey and butter!

1. Medeja
    15/07/2014 at 5:23 am (4 months ago)

How interesting! So you just cook one side of this pancake? I would like to try them for some weekend breakfast :)

• munatycooking
      15/07/2014 at 9:15 am (4 months ago)

It’s fun to see all those wholes forming on the surface of this pancake.

2. Erika
    15/07/2014 at 2:40 pm (4 months ago)

Wait these are amazing!!! They look just like the inside of an English muffin…but in pancake form! I’ve never seen these before–fabulous photos!

• munatycooking
      16/07/2014 at 4:32 am (4 months ago)

Thanks Erika, I know you must be eager to know how they taste :) … But when eating them you have to keep an open mind, since their texture and taste is not like your regular pancake!

3. Rosa
    15/07/2014 at 2:41 pm (4 months ago)

Heavenly! This is a fantastic treat. *drool*

Cheers,

Rosa

4. Laura Dembowski
    15/07/2014 at 3:45 pm (4 months ago)

I have never seen pancakes like this, but I so want to try them. All those crevices look perfect for soaking up lots of syrup!

• munatycooking
      16/07/2014 at 4:29 am (4 months ago)

These pancakes are popular in Morocco and Algeria, I like the egg and milk version and when pouring the honey mixed with butter on top, that makes it taste really good!

5. Nagi
    15/07/2014 at 5:41 pm (4 months ago)

This is fascinating! I have never heard of this before. It looks so delicious, I must try it, I love trying new things. I love your blog – you make such interesting recipes! Signing up right now!

• munatycooking
      16/07/2014 at 4:23 am (4 months ago)

Hi there, thanks for your kind comments I try to upload unfamiliar recipes just for fun sometimes :) .. Your blog is amazing, I love the clicks, so bright and beautiful!

6. Nami | Just One Cookbook
    21/07/2014 at 6:52 pm (3 months ago)

Delicious delicious delicious! I want to eat this right now, Muna! How those 1000 wholes are created is very interesting! Love learning new recipe from you. :)