Chapli Kabab – Low Calorie
Chapli kabab is very popular in Peshawar – Pakistan. I love kabab in general but chapli kabab is at the top of my list.
Everything is heavenly about this kabab except the way it is cooked. It’s actually deep-fried and I have to be honest, this contributed in the amazing taste and delicious crispy edges.
Keeping the entire flavor in and cutting down the calories, I’ve made a low calorie version which you can enjoy with plain rice or low carb side dish.
Chapli kabab is very spicy, so I usually have it with yogurt and cucumber salad, which you can see a dollop of it on the chapli kabab in pictures.
The calories calculated do not include the bread and the toppings.
Serves 2. One serving is 237 calories.
200 gm ground beef
1 egg white
1/2 medium onion chopped
1/2 teaspoon crushed cumin seed
1 chopped hot green chili
1 medium tomato chopped
1/4 teaspoon black pepper powder
1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 tablespoon fresh coriander leaves
1 tablespoon oil for frying
– To large bowl, add all ingredients.
– Mix gently, which will allow beef to stay fluffy and tender when cooked.
– Shape into 2 patties about 1 inch high. Press the center of the patty gently with three fingers. Cover and freeze for 10 minutes.
– Add one tablespoon oil to a frying pan, fry the chapli kabab for 4-5 minutes on each side. Do not press it while frying.
– You might see dark patches on the chapli kabab, even the edges might turn dark, but that’s alright, this because the egg white which is cooked before any other ingredient.
– When done, remove the kabab, cover immediately and wait at least 5 minutes before serving. This will allow the meat to rest and hold its shape.