I was hesitant to post this recipe, for this pie been quite controversial. There were those who loved it and gave it rave reviews all over the internet, but there were also those who beg to differ. I personally love this pie.
This is simply a custard pie that creates its own crust. If you love custard and flan, you will love this pie.
Now, if you have never had this pie before, you have to understand that the crust created at the bottom of this pie, is different in texture from your normal pie crust.
There are few tips, which you have to consider when baking the perfect impossible custard pie.
Tip#1: Add vanilla immediately to the eggs after cracking them. (This reduces the smell of eggs).
Tip#2: Beat the eggs and sugar until it doubles in size. (This reduces the smell of eggs)
Tip#3: The milk used should be a warm enough, meaning you can stand to keep your finger in it for 10 seconds without screaming! (This gives more creamy texture).
Tip#4: Use high quality vanilla. (This reduces the smell of eggs)
- ½ cup melted butter
- 4 medium eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups milk (warm)
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 180C -356F.
- In a bowl, add eggs, sugar, and vanilla. Beat until creamy in texture.
- Add butter, flour and salt and whisk until well combined.
- Add the milk and whisk immediately.
- Let the pie sit for 5 minutes.
- Pour in your 8" diameter baking pan and bake for 45 minutes.
- Some serve it warm some let chill in the fridge, it's really up to you.