Torta De Mele
Before the internet, I used to depend on recipes I create, what my friends share with me, and what I see on cooking shows. Then I got addicted to buying Cookbooks.
Although I have many cookbooks at home, I rarely go near them, because most of the time the recipe fails, and I can’t reach the cook/author to ask where I went wrong.
I thank God for internet and food bloggers :).
I have many foodie friends, and they share the most delicious recipes. There are number of foodies whom I trust and have tested their recipes and was impressed.
The recipe I’m sharing today is from my friend Chef Dennis , I usually visit his blog, pick a random recipe, knowing that it will taste heavenly. You should visit his blog, actually bookmark it because I’m sure you’d want to try many of his recipes. Oh, don’t forget to check out his cheesecake recipes.
Torta De Mele is classy, moist, and addictive. You will note that my cake is a bit brownish from the inside and this is the story behind it. “One day, and while frying the apples for Torta De Mele. My cell phone rang, I got busy chatting and lost the sense of time, to later, discover that my apples got caramelized. I was afraid that this will ruin the taste of the cake, but it actually gave it a hint of caramel.
Since then I always caramelize the apples, and this is the reason why I took out 3 tablespoons of sugar from the recipe, since the cake became much sweeter after adding the caramelized apples.” The end.
- ½ cup (115 g) unsalted butter
- 3 apples (medium) cut into slices
- ⅔ (85 g) cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp (2.5 g) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2.5 g) salt
- 2 whole eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp ( 5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (225 g) granulated sugar (I took 3 tablespoons off that cup)
- ½ tsp (2.5 g) grated lemon zest
- 10 x sugar to dust
- Preheat oven to 375F - 190C, butter a 9” round cake pan.
- In a large frying pan over low heat, melt the butter, reserve 6 tbs for later.
- Add the apple slices and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. (I've caramelized it)
- In a small bowl mix together flour, salt, and baking powder.
- In a large bowl beat the whole eggs and egg yolks until blended. Add the butter, sugar, vanilla and lemon zest.
- Stir in flour and apples. Spoon into prepared pan, smoothing the top.
- Bake until cake is browned, 30-35 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool in pan for minutes.
- Invert cake onto plate to remove the pan and then invert again and return to rack to cool completely.
- Before serving dust with 10x sugar.