Coffee Walnut Ice Cream – Experience #4
On the kitchen table was a jar full of coffee. It whispered in my ear, those words were a magical spell. I have no choice but to fulfill this deep dark desire. A desire to indulge in a sinful pleasure whose consequence means running longer on the treadmill. This creamy and rich ice cream is a blend of delicious goodness. But, it’s better not to lose ourselves here.
Homemade Ice Cream can’t be compared to commercial ones, the ingredients are fresh, and the creaminess is divine.
This is how I made it!
1 1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup whole milk
5 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 tablespoons brewed black coffee
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup crushed walnuts
– In a bowl beat the yolks with sugar until creamy and lighter in color.
– In a saucepan, add the cream and milk. When it simmers, remove from heat.
– While whisking the eggs, gradually add the cream and milk mixture.
– To get a smoother, silkier texture, strain the mixture through a sieve and pour it back in the saucepan.
– Keep stirring the custard on medium heat until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Draw a line at the back of the spoon and if both ends don’t meet, the custard is ready.
– Remove from heat immediately and pour in different bowl.
– Add coffee and vanilla, and stir.
– Prepare a chilled water bath with cubes of ice. Place the bowl on top and keep stirring the custard until it cools.
– Cover the custard with plastic allowing the plastic to touch the custard’s surface.
– Refrigerate the custard overnight or 6 hours. This will thicken the custard and blend the flavors well.
– Transfer the custard to the chilled container of the ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
– When done, transfer the ice cream to an airtight container and place in the freezer.