When I was a kid, my mom used to bring home packed cream caramel, which I enjoyed a lot. That was, until I tasted the real deal and “BAM!” I was an instant convert.
Getting the right recipe was a mission on its own (no internet then). The accidents and disastrous results I have experienced while attempting to make this dessert were indescribable.
I couldn’t give up, no way. No one would make homemade cream caramel whenever I crave it, and I do that often. Just love it when I flip the cream caramel on the serving plate, and watch a flood of caramel slide down the sides. A spoonful of this rich, creamy textured delight deeply soothes and brings in a sense of serenity.
Well, I not only mastered the making of cream caramel, but also came up with quite interesting versions of it.
I made it with pistachio, cardamom, saffron, chocolate …. Etc. But of course you must have guessed my favorite flavor by now. Yes indeed, it’s Coffee.
I can now add different flavors to my coffee-flavored version by using Specialty Coffee or Signature Blends. However, if you are in an adventures mood go for flavored coffee.
Visit New York Gourmet Coffee and browse through their tremendous range of signature, specialty, and flavored coffees. They not only offer high quality products, but their prices are great too.
Adding coffee to cream caramel will not interfere with its delightful flavor, but for coffee lovers, it’s a gift.
Are you ready to indulge?
For the caramel
Serves 4 – 5
1/2 cup sugar
4 tablespoons water
- In a small saucepan, add sugar and water.
- Let it come to a boil on medium heat.
- Do not stir the mixture. Just swirl the saucepan to caramelize the sugar evenly.
- When golden or light brown, pour the caramel into the ramekins.
- Let it cool completely before pouring the cream mixture on top of it.
- Place the ramekins in a baking dish.
For the cream
3/4 cup evaporated milk (you can use whole milk)
2 medium eggs
5 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 tablespoons brewed and cold black coffee
- In a saucepan, heat the evaporated milk.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs with vanilla, coffee, and sugar until creamy and lighter in color.
- While whisking, gradually add the hot milk. Run the mixture through a sieve.
- Pour the cream mixture over the caramel.
- Pour hot water in the baking dish, covering bottom half of the ramekins.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350F/180C for 40 minutes.
- Let the cream caramel cool for 2 minutes. Run a half-inserted knife along the edges of the ramekin. Shake the ramekin lightly then flip it on a serving plate.
- Let it cool and then chill for an hour before serving.
Hold on and read this! New York Gourmet Coffee is offering MunatyCooking readers a special discount. When making a purchase, enter this code: mcb1220815 to get 10% off your order. Minimum purchase must be $23.00, offer is available until November 4th, 2012.Cooksnaps