Coffee Cream Caramel – Experience # 2

When I was a kid, my mom used to bring home packed cream caramel, which I enjoyed a lot. That was, until I tasted the real deal and “BAM!” I was an instant convert.

Getting the right recipe was a mission on its own (no internet then). The accidents and disastrous results I have experienced while attempting to make this dessert were indescribable.

I couldn’t give up, no way. No one would make homemade cream caramel whenever I crave it, and I do that often. Just love it when I flip the cream caramel on the serving plate, and watch a flood of caramel slide down the sides. A spoonful of this rich, creamy textured delight deeply soothes and brings in a sense of serenity.

Well, I not only mastered the making of cream caramel, but also came up with quite interesting versions of it.

I made it with pistachio, cardamom, saffron, chocolate …. Etc. But of course you must have guessed my favorite flavor by now. Yes indeed, it’s Coffee.

I can now add different flavors to my coffee-flavored version by using Specialty Coffee or Signature Blends. However, if you are in an adventures mood go for flavored coffee.

Visit New York Gourmet Coffee and browse through their tremendous range of signature, specialty, and flavored coffees. They not only offer high quality products, but their prices are great too

Adding coffee to cream caramel will not interfere with its delightful flavor, but for coffee lovers, it’s a gift.

Are you ready to indulge?

For the caramel

Serves 4 – 5
1/2 cup sugar

4 tablespoons water

- In a small saucepan, add sugar and water.

- Let it come to a boil on medium heat.

- Do not stir the mixture. Just swirl the saucepan to caramelize the sugar evenly.

- When golden or light brown, pour the caramel into the ramekins.

- Let it cool completely before pouring the cream mixture on top of it.

- Place the ramekins in a baking dish.

For the cream

3/4 cup evaporated milk (you can use whole milk)

2 medium eggs

5 tablespoons sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

4 tablespoons brewed and cold black coffee

- In a saucepan, heat the evaporated milk.

- In a bowl, whisk the eggs with vanilla, coffee, and sugar until creamy and lighter in color.

- While whisking, gradually add the hot milk. Run the mixture through a sieve.

- Pour the cream mixture over the caramel.

- Pour hot water in the baking dish, covering bottom half of the ramekins.

- Bake in a preheated oven at 350F/180C for 40 minutes.

- Let the cream caramel cool for 2 minutes. Run a half-inserted knife along the edges of the ramekin. Shake the ramekin lightly then flip it on a serving plate.

- Let it cool and then chill for an hour before serving.

Hold on and read this! New York Gourmet Coffee is offering MunatyCooking readers a special discount. When making a purchase, enter this code: mcb1220815  to get 10% off your order. Minimum purchase must be $23.00, offer is available until November 4th, 2012.

Cooksnaps

22 Comments on Coffee Cream Caramel – Experience # 2

1. Angie's Recipes
    18/08/2012 at 2:56 pm (2 years ago)

Perfection! I love the coffee flavour. Well done, Muna.

2. sandra
    18/08/2012 at 5:31 pm (2 years ago)

Oh my, a marriage made in heaven with the coffee addition! Love the photographs; I swear I can taste this delicious dessert just now – kudos Muna!

• Munatycooking
      19/08/2012 at 1:33 am (2 years ago)

Thanks Sandra, I’m also excited for sharing this mini coffee series :)

• Munatycooking
      19/08/2012 at 1:34 am (2 years ago)

Thanks Paty, hope you try it. Eid Mubarak to you and your family :)

3. Medeja
    19/08/2012 at 10:53 am (2 years ago)

Looks beautiful and delicious! I don’t know if I ever even tried it..

4. Pam
    19/08/2012 at 8:50 pm (2 years ago)

Wow! It looks amazing. Great photos & presentation.

5. Munatycooking
    20/08/2012 at 4:15 am (2 years ago)

@medeja and @Pam, thank you, hope you try it it’s a real delight :)

6. Vimitha Anand
    20/08/2012 at 4:42 pm (2 years ago)

Beautiful clicks… The caramel looks so soft.. Happy to follow u..

• Munatycooking
      21/08/2012 at 4:30 am (2 years ago)

Thank you Vimitha, and I’m happy to follow you too ;)

7. Xinmei @ Pudding Pie Lane
    20/08/2012 at 6:23 pm (2 years ago)

My mum used to bring home store bought creme caramel too! I’ve still never made the real thing, but this brings me back to schooldays when I would come home from school and this would be waiting for me :) You’re looks delicious!

• Munatycooking
      21/08/2012 at 4:32 am (2 years ago)

Thanks girl, I still have those store bought at times, but nothing can compete with the real deal :)

8. Nami | Just One Cookbook
    20/08/2012 at 11:49 pm (2 years ago)

My husband loves cream caramel (we call it purin in Japanese) and I will surprise him with this coffee version. I have evaporated milk in the pantry and not sure what to use it so this is perfect. My purin recipe doesn’t use evaporated milk so I’ll give it a try!

• Munatycooking
      21/08/2012 at 4:34 am (2 years ago)

Hope your husband enjoys my version. I have made this dessert with condensed milk, and cream also, it always comes out good, the only difference is in texture and richness!

9. Torviewtoronto
    21/08/2012 at 4:03 am (2 years ago)

pudding looks wonderful a favourite type of pudding

• Munatycooking
      21/08/2012 at 4:35 am (2 years ago)

Thanks dear, hope you like my version :)

10. Zoe
    22/08/2012 at 11:00 pm (2 years ago)

Your coffee cream caramel looks very smooth and creamy… Everything looks very nice in your photo. Love the way you presented this lovely dessert :D

11. Joanna @ Chic & Gorgeous Treats
    24/08/2012 at 1:43 pm (2 years ago)

Cream Caramel has always been one of those egg custard dessert that I absolutely LOVE. Whenever I head back towards my dad’s hometown, the first thing that comes to mind is that I must get my fix. Be it at 9AM, I know I just have to have one. That’s how much love I have for Cream Caramel. I say this is something I am willing to branch out from to Coffee Cream Caramel, as I know Coffee and Caramel are like partner in crime and definitely does give that extra aroma. Thanks for coming over too and please stay in touch. Can’t wait to further explore your cooking blog ;). Cheers, Jo

• munatycooking
      25/08/2012 at 8:06 am (2 years ago)

Hi Jo, Thanks for stopping by. I think Cream Caramel should be named as International Comfort Dessert. I can never get enough of it never :)

12. cindy
    26/08/2012 at 11:14 pm (2 years ago)

I don’t see any eggs listed in the ingredients??

Thanks…looks delicious!

• munatycooking
      26/08/2012 at 11:34 pm (2 years ago)

Hi Cindy, thanks for pointing it out. It seems I’ve deleted it by mistake when I was updating the post. It’s there now and I hope you try it out :)