2 cups cooked elbow macaroni (I used whole wheat macaroni)
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
Salt and black pepper
1 1/4 cup milk
1 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or a mix of your favorite cheese)
2 egg yolks
3 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
- In a saucepan melt the butter, add the flour and stir on medium heat for a minute.
- Add the milk gradually, around three tablespoons at a time, while stirring to avoid lumps.
- Add the salt and black pepper and stir the sauce until it thickens.
- Remove saucepan from heat and add the cheese, stir until the cheese is melted.
- Give the egg yolks a whisk and add to the cheese and sauce mixture, stir well.
- Now add the macaroni and mix. Keep aside.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg white until you get a stiff peak.
- Gently pour the egg white on the mac and cheese mixture, and fold very gently until well combined.
- Transfer in buttered ramekins. let the mixture fill each ramekin. The ramekins I used holds 1 1/4 cup, or 2.5″x4″.
- Bake on the middle rack for 15-20 minutes or until the surface turns golden.
- Serve immediately.