As far as I know there is no secret ingredient in falafel, it’s a very straight forward recipe, but there is something most people may not be aware of. There are three types of falafel, one is made by chickpeas only, the other by fava beans, and the third one is made by the mixture of both chickpeas and fava beans.
Oh yeah, there is A secret about falafel, they are quite addictive :0)
The falafel I’m sharing with you today are made using chickpeas and stays crunchy for long time. Enjoy it!
1 cup chickpeas (uncooked)
1 medium onion
4 spring onion
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup parsley
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Soak chickpeas in hot water for 13 hours.
- They will double in size.
- In a food processor add the chickpeas and process. Do not over do it, you should get a breadcrumbs like mixture.
- Remove the chickpeas and add the onion, green onion, garlic, parsley, two tablespoons from the previously made chickpeas crumbs, and process, you should get a fine mixture.
- After dropping the falafel in oil, turn the heat to medium. These falafel will take about 4 – 5 minutes and you are done.
This sandwich is dedicated to Leyla Hur, Fiona Dodwell, and Wilma Halfwerk. You guys are not only kind but managed to be amazing too!